Tuesday, October 25, 2011

THE Trip, Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, Driving Kodachrome Basin State Park to Grosevnor Arch

CABS for Reflections From the Fence

May 16, 2011.

Man and I have managed to reach the road to Grosevnor Arch.  It is 11 miles from the entrance to Kodachrome Basin State Park to the Arch.  Unpaved!  Also, narrow, hilly, and totally scenic.

Within minutes of "hitting the dirt" we see these signs, I think they just want to remind you:



And, the road:




Below:  about mid photo is a white streak, it is a washout area, when it rains, it fills with water, running water.


Below, photo does not show this real well either, but this section of road was rather steep and caused a bit of spinning wheels, spitting gravel and sand, slip sliding away, just a little.


And, when you get to the top, this is what you see.  Ya, WOW.



Below, what went  up, must go down.


Below, more downhill, and a slow turn, believe me 15 MPH was not too fast.


Below, still a few miles to go - -


We are almost to Butler Valley, full of cattle, grazing right along the road, one must slow down or you will be paying for a side of beef.  


Yes, we will reach the arch, in just a couple more miles, I promise - -


.

5 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

I love these pictures, but you know what - I kind of get dizzy looking at those steep and windy roads - imagine my reaction if I were to travel down them in real life!

Janice said...

Carol, I love the photos especially the one of you and Man in Sedonna! Sedonna is near where we used to live. Beautiful country! Thanks for the visits and the credit on the clip art. Have you seen the new ones yet? Have a great weekend.

Grandma MG said...

Don't you find it odd to be out in such gorgeous terrainand then ..... Cattle!!! Again!!! Love, love, love the pictures ....ie the contrast & texture!

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Bet Tana and Big Butt needed a bath after trucking down those roads!

Cynthia Shenette said...

Your comment about paying for a side of beef cracked me up. I remember when I was out west 15 years ago and saw cattle grazing all over the place, and the friend I was traveling with told me about the open range law. It's kind of like a variation of the gift shop "You Break It, You Own It" policy. Thanks for the laugh!