Saturday, October 15, 2011

THE Trip, Day Trip, LONG LONG Day Trip, Part 2

CABS for Reflections From the Fence


I don't even know where to begin.  No kidding.  If I was overwhelmed by Arches National Park or Canyonlands (and I was) there are no descriptive terms big enough for what I felt when we drove Scenic Byway 12 through this area.  I have also realized there is no way I can do this justice.  I did a google search, by typing in this phrase, exactly this way:

ccc builds the million dollar road bryce utah

Here is the link for the first page of results from this search:  LINK

AMAZING!  Maybe you could wait till after you read my sad attempt at this to go read some really wonderful blog and trip reports that others have made to this spectacular area.  Oh, my, some of the photos!  WOW!  Gasp!  Awe!  Wonderful!

If you don't go to any of the sites from my search results, or if you only have time for one, try this site, tons of information on the area all summarized in one place.  Excellent!

The short story of it, the road called the Million Dollar Road cost about that to build, and it was built in a large part by some very sturdy young men who worked for the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps).  This is rough country, so rough that as late as 1940 mail was delivered via mule train during parts of the year.

Rough of course, to me, also means beautiful beyond imagination.  So, it is photo time, photos to sooth the savage, or to just enjoy:



Below:  You can see the road, running from left to right mid photo, that small little black streak.  This is a massive area, miles and miles of "nothing", nothing but beauty.


Now, you know it is large enough for a panoramic.





What is around the next turn??  More beauty.  What is down the road a bit??  More beauty.  Miles and miles of beauty.  I'll show you more, soon, I promise - - - 



*I had hoped to bring you a few more photos in today's post, but, well, life and stuff got a bit off schedule, and well, I got tired and stopped and went to zzzz land!  I know you will understand!  LOL
.

1 comment:

Liz Stratton said...

You are making me soooo homesick!