Thursday, October 20, 2011

THE Trip, Day Trip, LONG LONG Day Trip, Part 7, Capital Reef National Park

CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This day trip took place on May 10, 2011.  We added this 'only short and quick stops' drive through/gawking/astonishing trip at the last minute.  We had driven from Bryce Canyon, through the Grand Staircase Escalante-National Monument, on to Boulder Utah and the Anasazi Indian State Park where we were originally going to call it a day and turn around and return the same route.  Then, we changed our minds, 35 miles and about 1 hour and 15 minutes later we arrived:


I'll be presenting my photos of Capital Reef National Park in two posts, this one will contain photos of specific places or formations that I can identify.  The second post will show off the scenery that we saw as we drove through.  It was all too quick for us, but, still, we did get to this lovely park which is a bit off the beaten track.  If MOC friend Jan had not mentioned how totally fabulous this park is Man and I may not have made the effort.   We are so glad we did, listen to her and make the effort.

Chimney Rock, going in and coming out:



The Castle, three views, different locations in the park, different lighting:




Some closer views of portions of The Castle formation, I took these because of the teal/blue coloration, which took my breath away.




Fremont petroglyphs (there were more petroglyphs down a hiking trail/walkway, about 1 mile give or take, sadly, we did not have time to hike it, huge regret on that, sighhhhh):


And a bit closer:


Capital Dome:


Twin Rocks:


Next post, more beautiful scenic photos.  On our 'rushing through' visit to Capital Reef I took about 210 photos in about 1.5 hours.  I know, out of control, and loving every single minute of it!


.

3 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Another pick your superlative series of posts.

I'm so glad you were able to do this drive. It must be one of the most spectacular drives on earth - how could there be anything grander? Your photos are a glorious reminder of one of the greatest days we've ever had. Thank you!

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Awesome photographs, Carol! I feel like I traveled along with you, and since I am not traveling right now, I appreciate the outing VERY much!!!

Can't wait to see the awesome picture you have saved for last!

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Had to run back through the pictures again, and add here that I love seeing the Petroglyphs and like you, I wish you'd had time to go on and see the rest of the Petroglyphs, but soooo appreciate you sharing!