Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ancestor Approved Award

Reflections is pleased as punch to have received this recognition from 3 blogger friends.  Anne from Gene Notes and Linda McCauley from Documenting The Details, and Karen at Ancestor Soup.  Thank you all.

As a recipient of this award, I am to list 10 things I have learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me and then pass the award on to 10 other genealogy bloggers who I feel are doing their ancestors proud.
  1. Some of the family secrets I learned about my ancestors gave me insight to emotional issues.  Family secrets are not always a good thing.
  2. My ancestor, Solomon B. Eley was at Appomattox on the day of surrender.  He died in 1871, most likely from the effects of illnesses he contracted during the Civil War.
  3. That an ancestor, who shall remain nameless here on Reflections, may have been a member of the KKK, no proof, just family stories/secrets.  Maybe that was a family secret that was best buried, it sure is not one I am totally comfortable with, and that is why said ancestor is remaining nameless.
  4. Man's grandfather, changed his name.  Seems this changing names and disappearing into the wild blue yonder was rather a common occurance back in the early 1900's.  Pre-social security number days.
  5. Family members living today do not always know that Gramma "X" had 3 other children who died as infants.  Maybe it was just too painful to share that loss with her other children and/or grandchildren.
  6. They either moved a LOT, or NOT.  When they did move, frequently they moved as extended families.  I can trace the Lashbrook clan from England to New York, they lived there for over 10 years, several of the youngsters, were married there.  They move again, en masse, to Illinois, father, mother, children, spouses of children, grandchildren, sometimes even the in-laws.  It was a huge clue when they moved to Iowa and beyond, remembering the "mass" movements has let me knock down a number of brick walls.  The NOT moving is somewhat easier, but tends to result in 2nd cousins marrying 2nd cousins!  LOL
  7. I am constantly in awe of ancestors that got on VERY slow moving boats and left their families behind and traveled thousands of miles to a new country in search of better lives.  I know how tired I am traveling via a plane to Europe, for example.  Can you imagine a trip that took weeks?  On a boat, many times as a passenger who was not much more than balast?  Imagine leaving your parents and/or siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and knowing that you will never see them again in your lifetime.  Letters and photos will have to do. And before photos, just letters, thank you.
  8. That a distant cousin was the first wife of JC Penney, ya, him!  Her tragic death from pneumonia was before the discovery of Penicillin.
  9. My great grandparents had the same great grandparents, see number 6 above.
  10. That ANY of my vital records in Hardy County West Virginia were recorded.  After I drove that cove I realized just how far the homesite was from the county courthouse! Takes several hours to drive with improved roads, how DID they do it in buggies and dirt mud roads?
Those that I am honoring to pass the award on to are:
  1.  Hummer at Branching Out Through The Years
  2.  Terri at The Ties That Bind
  3.  Joanne at Keeper of the Records.
  4.  Leah at The Internet Genealogist
  5.  Kathy at I Will Remember
  6.  Tracy at The Pieces of My Past
  7.  A newcomer with a fabulous blog, IrishEyes at 'On a flesh and bone foundation': An Irish History
  8.  Becky at kinexxions
  9.  Gini at Ginisology ~
  10.  The Gene Gleaner another new blogger, who just happens to have one of the prettiest templates I have seen. (By the way, if anyone an figure out how to leave a comment on her blog, let her know about the award, I tried a couple of times, and failed.  SIGH)
Congrats to you all.


Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence.
.

4 comments:

FranE said...

Thank you Carol. I am humbled to receive this honor. I love your thoughts. I know the KKK was not a good thing, on the other hand knowing the overwhelming events and losses that they had experienced when it was formed, I would be slow to judge.
You are always a fun visit.

Éire Historian said...

Thank You Carol. As is Hummer, I too am humbled and very grateful to receive this honor. I will endeavor to live up to it. I can relate to so many of the things you have listed above, especially numbers one, four, five, six and seven, I fear my list may look like a copy of yours. Thank you for your encouragement. You'll never know how much it means to me. Cheers! Jennifer

Leah said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me! I feel so honored and humbled. Like IrishEyes, I can also relate to most of your list above, espcially number 7. When I found out my great-grandmother made the long trek from Italy to Ellis Island while seven months pregnant and with three little ones to tend to I was in awe. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that must have been.

Tracy said...

A long overdue note of thanks for this award. I am honored you would consider me. As I read your list, I am shocked at how much of it belongs on my own as well, which I will be posting in the morning. Again, thanks so much for thinking of me.