William Franklin Fenton is the great great grandfather of Man. He was born July 5, 1833, reportedly in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He died in Rockville, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on March 4, 1922. William was a farmer, sailor and fisherman. William married Margaret Catherine Haley on May 25, 1850 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. William and Margaret had 9 children, William Franklin, Annie Louise, Charles Henry, Emma Stella, John Albert Haley, Clara Irene, George Edmond, Julia Agnes, and Robert Crowell.
Most likely the most dramatic event of William’s life was the loss of two of his sons on the same day, May 7, 1882. Both Charles Henry and John Albert Haley died that day in a tragic accident that their older brother managed to escape. A report of this accident is found in “Yarmouth past and present; a book of reminiscences”, by J Murray Lawson, Publisher: Yarmouth, N.S. [Printed at the Yarmouth herald Office] 1902, the report reads:
"On Saturday evening, May 6th, a lobster smack, belonging to Capt. William McDonnell, of Argyle, and commanded by Capt. William Fenton, came to anchor in Chebogue Harbor. Capt. Fenton took the boat and went ashore, leaving a boy named Thomas Greene in the schooner. On Sunday Capt. Fenton's three sons William, about 21 years old; Charles, 16 years, and John, 14 years embarked in a boat to bring Greene ashore. The boat capsized a few moments afterwards, and all were drowned except William, who clung to the bottom of the boat until she drifted ashore, where he laid for sometime unconscious. The body of Charles Fenton was subsequently recovered about 3/4 of a mile from where the accident happened."
William is buried at the Chebogue Town Point Cemetery, Chebogue, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, as is his wife, Margaret. I have no photo of any headstone, hope to some day.
Man’s great grandfather was William Franklin Fenton, the only person to survive this boating tragedy.
* Photo identified to be William Franklin Fenton (the elder), courtesy of Karen Fenton, Man's second cousin once removed.
More Special Pages From Reflections
- Heritage Flag & The Family Names
- Friend of Friends
- THE Trip, The Maps
- Disclaim THAT! Beholden to - -
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Two
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Three
- 2013 Thankful November
- Families Past :: Pedigree Charts
- Edna May Fenton Stevens Time Line Experiments
- Winter Sojourn 2014/15 :: The Maps
- Reflection's Contibutions to the Worldwide Genealo...
- Reflections Visits Nova Scotia
- European Union Stuff.