Monday, July 27, 2009

Ida's Snuff Can, mmmmm, maybe not

This is what I was told is Ida's snuff can.

Ida was my great grandmother, Ida Matilda Whitmer Halterman, born December 9, 1874 near Upper Cove, Hardy County, West Virginia. She died November 28, 1963 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. She is buried in the family cemetery on the family farm near Bergton, Virginia. She had lived on this family farm for most of her life. She was visiting her daughter, Sarah in Cleveland when she died.

During my many visits to the Shenandoah Valley I collected some family heirlooms, some old and well used, others, not so.

I know it does not look like much and I have no idea why I really wanted it. But, I did and my grandmother, Minnie, Ida's daughter gave it to me.

A few years ago I decided to photo my family treasures, including the photos in my family history data base. I have linked to the person who owned them, and have a special fact linked to Moi in which I show all the photos, sorta an inventory of heirlooms.

When I got to the snuff can, I took a lot of photos, it is small, I am not so good with macro photography, it took a lot of photos to get a few good ones. I wanted the top, the back, the front. When I got to the back, really looking at the snuff can in close detail I discovered, BAR CODES!!

Bar codes, say what?? Off to the internet I run, google Bar Codes, and in minutes I am discovering that they did not appear on products sold till around the first of the 1970's. Interesting reading on the history, try Wikipedia.

At this point, I seriously doubt this was Ida's snuff can, don't you?

.

No comments: