Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Minutiae, Ancestor Approved Award, Is Your Ancestor MIA? And - -

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I would like to thank Lisa Swanson Ellam of The Faces of My Family for honoring me with the Ancestor Approved Award.

At this point, I am gonna fall back to my previous 10 things I have learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me - - -

And, to read them, please visit my post from December 6, 2010.

Thank you ever so much Lisa, it is ALWAYS an honor to be recognized by other Genea-Bloggers.

One of my genie-angels wrote last week during that horrific snow storm that paralyzed the east coast and suggested that natural disasters may be a VERY good reason you cannot find your ancestors where you thought they were living. If a natural disaster, such as a tornado, destroyed their home, did they rebuild there?  Or, did they move on?  Consider, how many were misplaced by Katrina, never to return to New Orleans again.  Thank you Anne Marie for a great reminder.

The last 10 to 14 days has been a trial for techy Carol.  I love my techy toys, UNTIL they don't work the way I think they should.  Most of the issues have been connectivity, something changed with the campground's Wifi and the air card has issues too.  I have snarled a lot, poor Man.  One thing we have done to try to enhance our online experience from here on out was to install Google Chrome. That has helped speed up things.  It also sent me looking at a number of other web sites I use and in doing so, I discovered, without a doubt, that our air card is connecting us to the Internet via towers and service in Macon Georgia.  Geesh, that is some distance from where we are right now, Las Cruces New Mexico.  This presents a bunch of new issues for us, and the story is too long and confusing to try to detail here.  Suffice it to say, we are looking at all possible solutions/alternatives. 

I also found I can run Chrome and IE at the same time.  This AM I could not get Blogger to load so I could write a new post while in Chrome, so, I opened IE.  Yep, I am using both right now.  New horizons for Reflections!  LOL

I have also been playing, again, with some minor changes to the blog's look.  Undecided for now, another new set of horizons?  Maybe, maybe not.

By the way, we had snow here in Las Cruces the other day.  The snow, a few drops of rain and a few 1/4 inch sized hail balls ended what was a 65-70 day dry spell.  The fur kids had to go out during the snow, but, of course.  They had white flakes all over them by the time they came back in.

We are contemplating our next month or so on the road.  Current plan, leave here around the 14th, possibly stop in Deming New Mexico for a couple of nights, then, westward ho to Quartzsite Arizona for a MOC Rally and camping in the desert with 50 to 60 other MOC couples.  I fully expect that I will NOT have ANY connectivity during that part of THE Trip.

And, that is today's issue of Monday Minutiae.




* Wireless tower graphic courtesy of Clker.com

.

5 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Good point from your friend about natural disasters and our ancestors, guess I never thought about that.
I'm another person who uses IE and Chrome at the same time. FB now only works with IE, and this just happened last week. Didn't do any tweeks or changes to computer either, it just stopped working with Chrome! These things keep us on our toes.

Linda McCauley said...

Macon, Georgia! Good grief! No wonder it's been slow.

Joan said...

Love hearing about your travels-- let me know if you swing up to the northwest --- would love to meet you.

Éire Historian said...

Congratulations on yet another award, well deserved. Thank you to your friend for the reminder about ancestors who appear to disappear. Sorry to hear about your issues with connection, but it appears that you are, as with all things, handling it well.

Quartzsite Arizona sounds like another beautiful place. Once you do head there, I hope you’ll find lots to share once you return to the land of connectivity. Cheers! Jennifer

Greta Koehl said...

Oh, gosh, I so sympathize with computer problems. Right now it's a real honeymoon with my MacBook Pro, but I have browser issues, especially on my desktop computer. Safari does most things I want for Blogger, but Firefox doesn't (no "paste" function when I have a pop-up window to make links, for instance). There doesn't seem to be a browser on which you can do everything you need to. Hope you get everything resolved.