Friday, December 3, 2010

THE Trip, A Visit to the World Organization of China Painters

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Note, this is a multi-part blog post, part 1 discussed Maud, her painting, some personal history and how Man and I came to own a vanity set she painted. Part 2 of this series was a transcription of an interview she gave in 1932, so interesting, packed full of history. This post, part 3, discusses our visit to the World Organization of China Painting, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the special stops I had planned for Oklahoma City was to visit the World Organization of China Painters. I am not a china painter, heavens, I am the worst painter. No, I wanted to visit because a Lashbrook bride was a china painter, famous as a matter of fact. I had contacted them several years back asking some questions about Maud Lashbrook, china painter. They provided me with some information, and informed me that they had several pieces of her work at the Museum. I added the Museum to my bucket list of places to stop if I ever got back to OK City.

Man and I were NOT disappointed. I arrived with copies of group sheets, news articles and photos of the 3 pieces of Maud’s china that Man and I own. When we asked about Maud, we were shown a display case with 12 examples of her painted plates. For the next hour or more they showed me Maud painted china and I shared with them all my research on Maud. Totally delightful.


Display case, all 12 plates painted by Maud Lashbrook
World Organization of China Painters.

Many of the plates had little "bugs", quite charming.
 
And, these two pieces, one for collecting hair, the other for powder, are similar to the vanity set that Man and I own, except the main flowers on ours are pink. I did note that the blue of the bowl is almost exactly the same color as our vanity set, as is the gold rim.
 
 
Our visit at the World Organization of China Painters was so much fun.  One that Man and I will have fond memories of for many years.

 

.

4 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

It's amazing to see things from an ancestor in a museum. They certainly had a lot of Maud's china! You must be thrilled!

Barbara Poole said...

What a nice conclusion, I enjoyed reading about your visit this place. I've never given china painting any thought, but now I've more appreciation to them. Next time at a yard sale, I'll hunt for Maud's name.

Éire Historian said...

More beautiful work. Thank you for sharing the life of Maud McLaury Lashbrook. I feel totally inspired. Cheers! Jennifer

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I grew up in Syracuse and my grandmother had a few pieces of Syracuse China so when you started this series I was expecting a story of a woman that worked in a factory painting the same thing day after day. Maud's story was certainly far from what I expected and a delight!