Monday, December 13, 2010

Francisco Alberto Zapata, The Answers

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

On November 29th, I wrote a Madness Monday piece on my great-aunt Sarah's first husband, Francisco Alberto Zapata, asking what happened to him.

Shortly thereafter, within hours, I got my first inkling that maybe I was going to find out what Francisco's life was like.  However, there was some mix up about the email address.

On December 1st, I again posted, just a quick note, hoping the original informant would re-connect.   Then, silence, until December 12th, when again, I received several comments about my original post.  On the 12th, I also posted a comment, asking that whomever was trying to contact me do so directly by email.

She did!  It was Francisco's daughter.  I was so thankful and delighted.  She answered my questions, and now I know that Francisco and his second wife, his devoted second wife, Elizabeth, moved back to Mexico City around July of 1949.  They had 5 children, 4 sons and a daughter.  Francisco died in 1989 in Mexico City, where his ashes were interred with his mother.  His second wife, Elizabeth, who quote, "Never stopped loving my father", died (if I understand this correctly) the very day I posted my Monday Madness search for Francisco.

With his daughter's permission I can now tell you, no, I will let her tell you.  I have pretty much copied her email to me.
"He continued to work as a doctor till he was 80. ... He got to be en excellent doctor and was an excellent father, always his family first. He used to play the piano, guitar and acordeon, spoke French, Italian and of course English. At home, when I was small he used to have chickens and sell eggs and build wooden closets and bookshelfs, apart from his consultations. All of his children 4 boys and me a girl studied a carrier and have their own families. Two of my brothers live in the US.

My father did mention to me a long time about his wife Sarah and that had gotten divorced."
Isn't his a lovely story??  I am so delighted to learn of Francisco's life, I just know I would have liked him and told his daughter that. 

Thank you daughter of Francisco, you have answered questions that we have wondered about for some time.

Thank you again for contacting me.  May your mother and father rest in peace.  May your memories of them be happy and peaceful. 



* In the hours since I drafted this post, I have also been contacted by other children of Francisco and Elizabeth.  I am rather overwhelmed.  To Leslie, no, I never met your father.  Sarah (my great-aunt) and your father, were divorced before I was born.  To answer your other question, why did I pick to write about your father when I did?  I have no idea why I chose to ask about your father now, some things are not to be explained, sometimes I call it "kismet".  Relationships and family stories need to be told and shared, and sometimes they happen at the most opportune time.

** As a reminder to all my readers and to Francisco and Elizabeth's children, the best way to contact me is via email, not via this blog and comments.  My email addy is in "the other column", to the right.  It is a yahoo address.  Comments are always welcomed, but sometimes there is no way for me to respond, as your email address may not be included with the comment.  If you directly email, I can directly respond.

.

7 comments:

Judy said...

This is so great! I have had only occasional success with finding relatives through posting on my blog. You have encouraged me to try again.

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Finally! Answers. Wahoo!

Susan Clark said...

How completely lovely and so moving. There are things to ponder here.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

This is the best "cousin bait" story I've read in months! I'm so glad you broke this brick wall. I know how good that feels.

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

Congratulations! Isn't the internet wonderful!

Lisa Swanson Ellam said...

This is a true example of genealogy serendipity! Brings goosebumps to my arms!

Janet Smith Hamel said...

My Grandmother, mom's mom is Anna, Elizabeth's sister. I never met her but came across this while recently researching my family tree. Thank you for the information!!