Monday, September 7, 2009

What does Labor Day mean to me?

Day off? Long weekend? BBQ? Camping trip? Family get togethers? End of summer? Almost beginning of school?

Yep, means all of this, PLUS

To our clan it means that Man was able to earn a decent living for his family. Good pay, good benefits, good medical insurance, some vacation time each year.

It may not be popular in 2009 to sing the praises of the labor unions. Many consider it out of the realm of politically correct statements. I suppose I risk getting some hate mail/messages from my not politically correct attitude.

But, it is LABOR Day, if you google it, you will find that Labor Day was celebrated in the US for the first time in 1882. It became a national holiday in 1894.

Today is Labor Day 2009. Man and I will take a moment or two to appreciate our nation’s heritage and will say a quiet prayer in thanks for those that came before us. Thanks for paving the way for many families to prosper, work hard, but prosper.

*According to Wikipedia, Labor Day also marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons. Go Blue! (Sorry Man, I have a soft spot in my heart for the team!)

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, how true.

Dennis & Sharon