Thursday, February 18, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - - Maps, Google, Bing & Google Earth

I adore maps.  I use maps to find cemeteries, houses, and even campsites.  I spent most of one summer gathering maps for all the cemeteries on my data base.  If I ever get the chance to visit them I want to know just where they are.  And, I want to be prepared. 

I find the maps on Google Maps, Bing Maps, Google Earth or perhaps even on Find A Grave.  I screen capture the image, sometimes I capture more than one image, showing different maps/magnification.  I process the image and link it to the cemetery in my data base.  I will also add addresses and contact information. If I can find a photo of the gate or entrance to the cemetery on Find A Grave, I will also link that photo (giving credit, of course to Find A Grave and the specific submitter of said photo) to the data base.  If I ever come across maps OF a cemetery - the larger ones usually have site maps - I will scan that and add it to the file.

Here is North Cemetery, Lawler, Chickasaw County, Iowa where some of Man's ancestors are buried.  Google Maps.


I actually discovered that the map I had for the cemetery was in error, and, I will replace it with this.  Just for comparison, here is the same map from Google Maps that does not have the Satellite information.


I also LOVE Google Earth, I am constantly amazed at what I can find.  This is Little Lashbrook, Devon, England.  We suspect that Man's ggg grandfather, Richard Lashbrook may have lived in this little collection of homes. 


When Man I traveled to England we visited this spot and had our first official English tea there. Yepper, a highlight of the trip.


This house is called Little Lashbrook


And, here is our tea, Man is taking the photo.

Richard Lashbrook came to America around 1830, eventually settling in McHenry County Illinois. It is possible that this next image is the home he built there.  This is a split screen with street view from Google Maps.


Same house, ariel view, I do not remember which map site I was using.


My last image today is a Google Earth map of the home away from home that Man, I, the yorks, Big Butt and Tana are staying at this winter, Gulf Breeze RV Resort, Gulf Shores, Alabama.  We are parked left of the word "POND" (in red).


I discovered today that Google Earth has a "copy image" facility, making it very easy and fast to paste into my photo editing program.

The use of maps can add color to your data base, they show where your family lived, worked or even where they are buried.  They enhance your research, your family story.

Most researchers value their old maps.  I also value the new ones that are now available via the internet and satellite technology. You can never have enough maps!


Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

.

1 comment:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Like you, I am a map princess. I love to do mapping. Often when I am blogging, that is some of the additional research for me, cause I think folks understand better when they can see a map. I will admit that google maps is new to me and I love that feature where you can hone into a particular house. Way Cool.