More Special Pages From Reflections
- Heritage Flag & The Family Names
- Friend of Friends
- THE Trip, The Maps
- Disclaim THAT! Beholden to - -
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Two
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Three
- 2013 Thankful November
- Families Past :: Pedigree Charts
- Edna May Fenton Stevens Time Line Experiments
- Winter Sojourn 2014/15 :: The Maps
- Reflection's Contibutions to the Worldwide Genealo...
- Reflections Visits Nova Scotia
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Ancestor Birthday Celebrations, Peter Preston Holsinger, Civil War Veteran
On October 21, 1860, Peter married Anna Catherine Spitzer, with whom he had 1 child. Research has not shown us much more about Anna, her son was born just after the outbreak of the Civil War.
Peter himself served during the Civil War, enlisting on March 1, 1862. His compiled service records show that he served in Company H, 12th Calvary, Virginia. According to his obituary, "He was twice captured and once wounded, serving 18 months in prison at Fort Delaware. Upon one occasion, he had his horse shot from beneath him."
Peter took as his second bride, Mary A. Kessler on Januay 16, 1866 in Rockingham County, Virginia. Peter and Mary had 6 known children, their last born daughter, Louella Virginia, died before her 3rd birthday.
Peter and Mary are buried side by side at the Linville Brethren Church Cemetery, Broadway, Rockingham County, Virginia.
Peter was my great great grandfather .
*Photo courtesy of Paul G. Holsinger, M. D., in his work, Descendants of David Holsinger of Virginia, published in 1969.