Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lookie what I found part 2, don't always trust your brother




Still reviewing old slides. Still rediscovering family vacations, and family stories. This one WILL find its way to my family history data base. This is one great example of what the WO's call "color".

Summer 1982, Man, Moi, 3 sons, my brother and Man's mother all pile in vehicle for 2 week vacation to see family in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. We decide to drive part of the Shenandoah National Park Skyline Drive. Brother reads brochure, finds a "short" hike to a spectacular view, decides we need exercise and convinces us to stop.

Eldest son,(the one that turned 40 this week, was about 13 then), Man, Moi and Brother decide to take the hike, others refuse or are not allowed.

Brother leads. Brother, Man and Son #1 get a good bit ahead of Moi, all I hear are their peals of laughter. As I round the bend, all they hear is my moans and some choice words (not repeated here). I am wearing plastic shoes and find myself scaling rocks that are 10 to 20 feet tall.

Short hike, ya, maybe, short in distance, not short in time! Yes, the view at the top was pretty special.

Photo at top, Moi and Son # 1 on the way down. Photo at bottom, Brother, also on the way down. Miracle that day was that no one got hurt.

Now, all you researchers, go hunt up some good family stories, some color for your data bases. Ohhh, and don't always trust your brother, specially when it comes to hikes!

No comments: