Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday's Stories, 52 Ancestor Weeks, Week # 9, The Remleys and Grants, Part 1

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


This is week 9 of my participation Amy Johnson Crow's, once a week challenge to blog about one ancestor a week, tell their story, biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem — anything that focuses on that one ancestor. More about the challenge can be found at her Blog, No Story Too Small.

Today I am going to talk about my great-grandmother, Minnie Maude Remley.
Some of the facts:  Minnie Maude Remley was born about 1875 in Walterboro, Colleton County, South Carolina, even her death certificate does not show her birth date, just giving her age as 71 years.

Minnie died November 26, 1948 at Richmond Cedar Works, Norfolk County, Virginia.  Her death certificate states the remains were sent to Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia.  We believe she is buried with her sister's family at the St. Andrews Cemetery, Darien, McIntosh County, Georgia.  There is no headstone, but, Jeannette Austin, compiler of the work, "30,638 Burials in Georgia" listed Minnie and her husband, Joseph E.Bowen as having been buried in that cemetery.

I know very little more than the bare facts about Minnie.  No stories were passed down and I have discovered nothing more than she was a mother, wife, lived, died.

Minnie's obituary was located in the Wednesday, November 27, 1946 issue of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, Norfolk, Virginia:
     "Mrs. Minnie Maude Bowen, 71, died at her residence, Richmond Cedar Works, Norfolk County, yesterday at 3 a.m. after an illness of five years.
     A native of Walterboro, S.C., she lived in this section 21 years and was a member of Oak Grove Methodist Church.
     She is survived by her husband, Joseph E. Bowen; a son, H. E. Bowen, of Norfolk County, a grandchild, and several sisters and brothers.
     The body was removed to the Francis A. Gay Funeral Home, South Norfolk, and will be forwarded this afternoon to the Gibson and Hart Funeral Home, Brunswick, Ga., where services will be held Friday afternoon.  Interment will be in the family plot at Brunswick."

I cannot even be 100% sure that the photo I have of her, which was so graciously shared by a Remley cousin, is actually Minnie.  We believe it is, however - -

I do have her family bible, here is where she recorded the births of her children. Only Hayden lived to marry and have a son of his own.  It should be noted that the handwriting on the three pages of records is the same.  I have no idea, however, if it is actually her handwriting.  I have nothing else of hers to compare it to.  The bible is the only thing that I do have that was hers.


Wish list for Minnie:

Verification that the photo I have, is in reality, Minnie.

Additional records, church, newspaper, civil, land, anything.




* Additional source data can be obtained by contacting me, see the right hand column for a yahoo email address.

** 52 Ancestors Weeks Button courtesy of Amy Johnson Crow.

*** I use many resources to research, FamilySearch.org is a free site.  Ancestry.com is a pay site for which I pay, no discounts, etc.  None of these sites have asked me to review them, or use them.  See my Disclaimers page for further details.

No comments: