Monday, June 24, 2013

THE Trip, THE Encore' :: What Carol Does When The Trip is Stalled.

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

OK, what do you think I do when THE Trip, THE Encore' is stalled??  Other than, go shopping, do laundry, clean Tana, rest, see the local sights and enjoy a few leisurely meals at local eateries?

I check my data base.  And, yes, I research!  One of Man's distant lines (through a twist or two) lived in Seaside, I actually remembered that.  They are also buried there, in the Evergreen Cemetery.  I have photos of most of the burials there from Find A Grave super duper volunteers, but, you know, there is nothing like visiting the graveside yourself.  You might see something that a volunteer would not be aware of. And, you have the opportunity to pay your respects.


We were stalled long enough that I was able to get into the city public library.  They have a very fancy digital scanner for microfilm.  It must not get used a lot.  It looked brand new.  Once we figured out how to turn it on and convinced the software to function, I was pulling films and finding obituaries.  I looked for 10 obituaries and walked away with 6.  Several of the deaths occurred in a nearby county, even though they are buried in the family plot.  Six is good!

This obituary provided much information that had been "hiding" from me, such as the maiden name of Ersel's wife.  I also found her obituary, which did not mention her maiden name but did give me some hints of places to research for her heritage.  I am not going to hold my breath on this maiden name tho, as preliminary online searches were not encouraging, I see a difficult research process coming to my lap top soon.

From this obituary I also discovered a sister, Josephine, whom I had been led to believe had died as an infant.  Oh, dear, here she is a married lady.  Research indicated!  And, is that married name correct in the obituary?  Another long research challenge!

Image of this obituary was shot with my iPad, emailed to myself, downloaded to the computer and tweaked a bit with my photo editing program.  I also printed out for 5 cents, 4 of the 6 obituaries, just cause.


His obituary appeared in the April 25, 1985 edition of the Seaside Signal, Seaside, Clatsop County, Oregon, Section 1, page 10:

"Ersel Edward Stuart
Ersel Edward Stuart died April 16, in Seaside.  Born July 26, 1900, in Oregon City to John W. Stuart and Mary Jane Hess, Mr. Stuart lived most of his life in Seaside.

He worked for various local logging companies and was a member of the Seaside Moose Lodge ad of the International Woodworkers of America.

He married Lillian Maltpress Oct. 11, 1930 in Kelso, Wash.  Mrs. Stuart died in 1973.

Survivors include a sister, Josephine Walker, Seaside; a brother, Cecil Stuart, Klamath Falls, a niece, Mary Jean Putnam, Klamath Falls, and a nephew, William Stuart, Brookings.

The Seaside Moose Lodge officiated at the services, April 18, at the Hughes-Ranson Motruary Chapel."

What I knew about Ersel before arriving in Seaside, Oregon:

I had a copy of his World War I Draft Registration.  I have not been able to find a World War II registration for Ersel.


Ersel is enumerated with his father and mother on the 1910 and 1920 census reports.

In 1930 Ersel is found in the Olney Precinct, Clatsop County, Oregon,  as follows:   Ersel Stuart, lodger, age 29, single, born Oregon, father born Iowa, mother born Oregon, logger in logging camp.

In 1940 we find Ersel as a married man, living in Seaside, Seaside Election Precinct 2, Clatsop, Oregon as follows:  Ershal Stuart, married aged 39,  finished 6 years of school, renting home for $15.00 a month, lived in same place in 1935, worked 40 hours the week of March 24 - 30, worked as steam engineer for logging, income in 1939, $1225.  His wife, Lillian Stuart, female, aged 49  (she is found on the next page of the census reports).  Birthplace was written as Washington, then crossed off and Texas was written.  Last year of school appears to be 7th.  I do not see where it is indicated which of them gave the information to the enumerator.

And, that is how you spend some time when THE Trip, THE Encore' is stalled.




.

1 comment:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Time well spent! And your found stuff, too!