Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - My Genealogy Database Statistics

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

The Sand Dollar, on the backside, has what I have decided is the ultimate family tree, roots, and branches and twigs.  

The Sand Dollar, the circle of life, the family tree.


It has been some time since I have participated in one of Randy's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenges. Tonight I am back with a short entry.

Randy's challenge reads:

1)  If you have your family tree research in a Genealogy Management Program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database (hint:  the Help button is your friend!)

2)  Tell us which GMP you use, and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.

So here we go:

I am currently using Legacy, here is the stats screen:


I have to say, that this is one place that Legacy really let's me down.  I was so used to the wonderful stats from RootsMagic.  SIGH.  I keep hoping that Legacy will eventually improve this, I am no programmer, but, it seems it would be simple enough.  

So, just for fun, I thought I would send my updated Legacy file back into RootsMagic, but, alas, I still did not get the full set of numbers. Yes, I am fully aware I probably did something wrong.  I have not been keeping up with my research and data bases the way I used to, blame it on THE Trip, THE Encore'.  Yes, that is a very good excuse.  LOL

However, I did learn from the transfer back to RootsMagic that I have 43,796 citations.  That sounds like a good number to me.

Most of my multimedia events are stored in a file named, surprisingly (NOT), Family History Photos.  I just checked that file and it contains 17, 266 files. That number befuddled me, because I had close to 8,200 multimedia events when I moved to Legacy.  I have not added THAT many files!  Upon closer examination, I discovered that 7,715 of those files were in a file named  "iPod Photo Cache".  Interesting, and a resource hog too, as that file alone is 6.47 Gigs.  Well, my my.  Have to contemplate that a bit.  So, with a bit of basic subtraction, I have about 9500 images in my Family History Photos file.  Most of those are attached to individuals in my Legacy file.




.

1 comment:

Lynne Carothers said...

Love the sand dollar!

One of these days I am going to get organized into a GMP. I keep going back and forth as to which one I will use. Pick one already, Lynne!