Saturday, September 28, 2013

"Favorite Season"



This blog post is part of my participation in a weekly writing meme called, "The Book of Me, Written By You" You too can be part of this experiment/experience, there is information at this Facebook page.

I may or may not publicly share what I write each week. This week I share.

The prompt for week 4 is Favorite Season (s)
Why?
A Happy Memory.
Close your eyes and imagine your favorite season – write down what you see, feel, hear.

I think I shall start from my least favorite season, winter.  I used to enjoy winter camping, and cross country skiing, but, as I got older, I fell out of love with winter. Bitter cold makes my fingers throb with discomfort, really, let's call it what it really is, pain!  These days Man and I try to escape to locales south, miles and miles and degrees (as in temperature), south.


I remember with fondness tho, young boys jumping with glee from towering snow banks - -


And, I still love the soft glow of holiday decorations, memories of holidays past, the children and their awe and excitement, the birth of the Christ child, the peace, if only for just a few hours, blessed, welcomed, wonderful.


After the quiet of snow filled days and short days, comes the month I hate more than any in SE Michigan, March.  Dank, soggy, gray, dark, soft and mucky.  There is no worse month in the year in SE Michigan.  Not worthy of one photo in my collection.  March, horrid month, could be banned and I would be thrilled.  ICK to March.

Then, come flowers, spring flowers, fresh, colorful, fragrant and oh, so welcome, maybe even more so, as they follow the dank and horrid month of March.


Some spring flowers and bushes, such as the magnolia, are so simple they take your breath away and fill your heart and soul with simple joy.


And, this is the time of my favorite flower, the iris, this specimen in my favorite color, purple.


Summer soon comes, Mother Nature bringing heat and humidity to SE Michigan and of course, flowers.


Some of my favorite memories, beaches and flowers, in summer.  Days spent soaking up the sun, reviving and warming me after winter.  Yes, I was a sun worshiper in my day.


Lazy days, spent by some creating wonderful sand art.


And, then, before we know it, fall arrives, with Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Memories of Halloween past, ghosts, goblins, costumes, carving or painting pumpkins, families walking the dark streets trick er treating and the mounds of candy dumped from pillow cases.   Such fond and sugary memories.

Thanksgiving, a time of reflection, and yes, thanks.  Pumpkin pie, turkey, dressing, meals spent with several generations gathered together as one clan.


And burning bushes, a fall favorite, glowing, bright, gorgeous flaming red.


A carpet of color, yellow and red, covering the green grass of summer.  The smell of burning leaves, the crunch as you walk and skip through piles of drying leaves on the sidewalks.  Visits to the apple orchards, cider and sugar cinnamon coated donuts, all signaling the time of harvest, time to prepare, once again, for winter.


My favorite season??  Any season, as long as I wake and can find some beauty in the day.  But, not March, no way, nope, nadda.


.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Awww, poor March. Some of our "best" snow storms came in March. And when the melting began, that glorious muddy road we had to navigate to the main road, there in Lake county.

Your photo of the Iris reminded me of that time of year when they appeared in the woods and the yards of empty cottages. The soft brown ones and the purple.