Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Future of Reflections and The Current URL

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

In the fall of 2009, just months after starting this experiment I call Reflections From the Fence, I took a leap and purchased a domain name for this blog. Which meant nothing to you as a reader, except you no longer saw "blogger" in the URL (the web address).

If you never noticed, good for you.

It made giving out my URL to people I met easy, it was simply, www.reflectionsfromthefence.com


But, then a bunch of stuff happened with the who and the how I have to pay.  It is way too confusing and befuddling to go into here.  I barely understand it.  Well, truth be, I don't think I DO understand it.

The bottom line is, I have been unable to pay for the upcoming year.  I think.  I cannot determine if my credit card number on file is valid or not.  My take, the card numbers are not valid. Card numbers have changed, time passes, cards expire. Nevertheless, when they try to put the card number on file through the system, my bets are on a monster BOUNCE.

So, for the last three weeks I have been trying to figure out:

1.)  How to pay?

2.)  What happens to Reflections if I do NOT pay?


How to pay, well, you have to have a password, which they say is invalid.  I lost count how many times I tried to hack in.  I lost count how many hours I spent trying to hack in.  I lost count how many help groups I asked for help.

And, no one could tell me for SURE, what happens if I do NOT pay.  This situation is not a time when you hear "I think" and feel all warm, fuzzy and confident.  I want to hear, "this is the way it is".  Nope, "I think" makes me very uncomfy.

In the last 48 hours or so, thanks to my blogging/genie/Facebook friends, I think I have found a place here in Blogger land, that will allow me to say I no longer want this domain thingy.  And, I don't, not at this point.  For a number of reasons, which I won't bore you with.

SOOO, I have a multifaceted approach to this.

1.)  I am done trying to hack into this account they say I have, but that my passwords will not work on.

2.)  I will in the next day or so, turn off the domain thingy from inside Blogger.

3.)  I have many backups of Reflections in many different formats.  One of those is in a new blog, Reflections 2, which is lying in wait.  If all else fails, Reflections will cease and Reflections 2 will be born.  I have been working on Reflections 2 for a week or so, it is not perfect, far from it, but, it will do if I need it.  All the posts are there, all the way back to the dark ages when I started this journey.


If I fail to save Reflections I hope my followers and readers will come find me on Reflections 2.  The URL will be, reflectionsrfromthefence.blogspot.com, well, I hope that is the URL.  As of publication time that URL/link will NOT work, as the back up blog is not public or live at this moment in time.

I have worked hard to build Reflections, I love my followers and readers, I sure hope I don't lose you.

I have not decided just yet, but, I may take Reflections 2 live and have both blogs running at the same time with the same content.  Just until I know if Reflections, the original, will live for another day, or year.

I hope that in a week or a month, all this angst will be a thing of the past, and that we will all be back to posting and reading this crazy gal's yarns on Reflections From the Fence, the original.

And, all over a lousy $10.00 bill.  Really.  Isn't that amazing??  Hold on, it could be a wild ride.




*  All this fuss and confusion and angst is one reason that THE Trip THE Encore' trip reports have been slowed down to a trickle.  That and the prep required to get us out the door on time for the MOC Fall Rally.
.

4 comments:

GrannyPam said...

Don't worry, we'll find you.

Carol said...

Thanks Pam! :-)

Jodie's life and time and travels said...

the blogspot address in your post has an "r" between reflections and from - it that intentional?

Carol said...

Yes, the URL with the "r" IS intentional. Thanks for asking.