Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday :: Nina Hannold, A Lone Burial in Big Bend National Park, Texas.

Copyright 2012, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

It's that genie researcher in me, I love cemeteries, and I frequently spot one in the distance like a homing pigeon.  As Man, J, D and I were driving in Big Bend National Park on our first morning/visit, I glanced off to the left, and there it was, black wrought iron fencing. Spelled cemetery to me.  Up on a little rise, I had little hope of really hiking to it, until we pulled off at the very next available parking/stopping area, just about 1/8th of a mile from where I spied that fencing.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a path, and a  sign!  Off I trotted, Sony in hand, hopes high.  Even better the signage told of the short life of Nina Hannold,  And, once at the sign, lo and behold, a path to walk to the cemetery.  Score!

The cemetery is the site of a single grave, for Nina Hannold.  Nina and her husband Curtis moved to the area in 1908 from Oklahoma, yes, by covered wagon.  Curtis taught school at Dugout Wells (8 miles from their homesite).  At the young age of 29, the mother of three, Nina fought and loss a battle with uremic poisoning during another pregnancy and died on September 30, 1911.  Nina's grave site has a presence on Find  A Grave.


Trinkets left in and on the grave site include coins and these silk flowers and look close, a string of pearls.


Actually two headstones, what appears to be the original, and a newer one.


Rest in Peace, Nina.





.

5 comments:

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Thank you for sharing! And Blessings on those who put a new stone up for her!

Barbara Poole said...

Interesting. I looked at the FAG memorial and your close-up photo is far better than what was posted. What is the other stone for?

Carol said...

I agree Sherry, blessings to those who put up that nice new stone.

Barbara, the other stone, my take, was the original one, worn by years and Mother Nature. I did look at the photos on Find A Grave and they are maxed out for the free "adds". To add more would require a sponsored memorial, or the removal of one of the current photos.

Unknown said...

The newer stone was provided for in the estate of Nina Hannold's daughter, Lucille Hannold Brubaker. I wrote the book about this family and the grave called An Occasional Wildflower which is undergoing new editing and publication, but is still available through Amazon and other online sources if anyone wishes to look for it. The family story is such an educational vignette of life in Big Bend before the arrival of park services, and I was honored to research and write it.

Carol said...

Thank you Scarlett for the additional information. Blessings.