Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Sharing a Birthday With Those in My Database

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

We are playing grandparents this weekend, so, this is gonna be quick and dirty, LOL

Randy from Genea-Musings, posted this challenge, my response in red:

Hey there, Genealogy Jedis - it's Saturday Night - time for more Genealogy Fun!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Is there a person in your genealogy database that has the same birth date that you do? If so, tell us about him or her - what do you know, and how is s/he related to you?

I have 23 others in my data base that share my birthday, including my uncle Charles.  Sorry, I don't have the time to chat about all 23, and truthfully, there are some that I have very little information about, and a few of these I cannot guarantee 100% that the date is correct.

2) For bonus points, how did you determine this? What feature or process did you use in your software to work this problem out? I think the Calendar feature probably does it, but perhaps you have a trick to make this work outside of the calendar function.

There is a very simple way to do this in RootsMagic (I currently am still using version 3.xxx)  If you use RM you can follow these simple words/commands, again, I am not going to chat this out in bloody details!  (Ya, I know, not my usual stuff!  Remember, granddaughters!!  LOL)


Search (person list)
Find
Pull down to choose Birth Date, Equals, then input date you are interested in.
Click OK
Results will show, if you suspect there may be more than one hit, click Next. Continue till RM tells you there are no more hits/results.

I use this method all the time.  Very handy.

Back to the granddaughters, have a great weekend. 

BOO!!


.

3 comments:

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Um. You do have the calendar function in RM3 and it is pretty functional as RM4. You will find it under reports. I have some really easy shared birthdays - my dad's brother, my second cousin Mary T in KCMO and the father of one of my bs-i-law.

Carol said...

Actually, my calendar function may be corrupt?? I have had trouble with it the last few times I tried to use it.

The beauty of this method is I can search so many other facts, things like, ohhhh, discharged date, which I don't think will show on the calendar.

As usual, more than one way to get the results you are looking for.

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Actually you can do that on the calendar.