Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence
Man and I have long wanted to travel west. You know, like west of I 35, the Oklahoma City to Austin Texas I 35. We have been to Vegas a few times via airplanes, saw the Grand Canyon, rafted from the Hoover Dam down the Colorado River (WOW to these experiences!).
However, we want to travel west of I 35 WITH Big Butt and Tana. We have tried for several years to do this trip, Arizona, Utah, maybe Salt Lake City for the researcher gal in me, places west of I35. However, life and old age and medical issues just keep providing stumbling blocks for us. It is not something we accept readily, but, truth is, we are getting older and have had to deal with some of those issues.
This winter, God willing, the creek don't rise and the doctors bless us, we hope to finally do this dream trip. I have started calling it THE Trip. As, in the ultimate, THE trip of a lifetime. Tana’s new brakes are part of the preparations we are slowly making to have THE Trip happen.
Over the next few weeks we will re-examine everything currently packed in Tana, some items will come out, others may take their place. We will be spending hours gutting and then re-packing Tana. We are approaching this daunting task with the words, “think out of the box”, attempting new and creative storage possibilities. Long term goals will be: reduce the weight and make items more easily accessible, therefore more useable. I am even re-thinking where I store the coffee pot during travel days.
We also will start actively deciding where we actually will try to visit. Up till now, this has been a foggy distant dream, but now we will need to firm up some ideas, and bring our thinking into the reality zone.
Man has a long, very long, list of chores around the stick built to complete before departure. I have a long list too, I hope it is realistic, if not, it will be what it will be. If we get to roll I will either take some of my “list” with me, or leave it here for our return, sometime in 2011!
So, I guess you know where I will be spending a lot of time for the next month or so, creatively re-packing Tana and doing trip research (burning up lots of air card bytes along the way! LOL)
I am cautiously optimistic, still a little gun shy of believing it will really happen.
THE Trip, has a nice ring to it, don’t you think??
*Been sitting on this post for well over a week, past history of hoped for trips that have had to be postponed have me a bit gunshy on talking about this. But, Man purchased a small generator this week, an indication that this is getting serious!