Thursday, October 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday, The Chamber Set

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


This chamber pot, pitcher and wash basin belonged to my great-grandmother, Ida Matilda (nee Whitmer) Halterman.  (If you use the search feature near the top of the right hand column here at Reflections you will see I have written about Ida several times.)

As you can see, it was used, hunks and chunks broken here and there, lots of cracks representing many years of use.  I have no clue as to the age of this set.  I have owned it for more than 20 years.

(No, I don't remember using either the pot or the wash basin and pitcher when I visited Ida and David.)

I don't see the missing chunks and hunks, nor the cracks, I see the well used, every day belongings of my great-grandparents.  I don't see items that have monetary value, but rather, items that were not particularly fancy but very useful.  I see the belongings of a farmer and his wife.  My treasures, displayed in my bedroom, constant reminders of my heritage and my great-grandparents.


.