Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence
Sure does not look like much, does it?? But, this rusty gate is in some respects, the gate to my heart. This gate stands in front of the home of my great grandparents, David Halterman and his wife, Ida Matilda Whitmer Halterman. They were married in 1899 in Hardy County, West Virginia.
I am not sure when they moved to this home. It sits on land that has belonged to Haltermans for some generations. I need to verify this statement, but, I believe that David's great grandfather, George W. Halterman, Sr. may have been the original purchaser of the land. George is found on the 1850 census of the area.
In any event, David and Ida lived there from at least 1900 until they both died, she in 1963, he in 1965. I knew both of them, I have strong memories of them and their home, and that gate.
*Home and surrounding land now owned by my first cousin. Still in the family.
More Special Pages From Reflections
- Heritage Flag & The Family Names
- Friend of Friends
- THE Trip, The Maps
- Disclaim THAT! Beholden to - -
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Two
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Three
- 2013 Thankful November
- Families Past :: Pedigree Charts
- Edna May Fenton Stevens Time Line Experiments
- Winter Sojourn 2014/15 :: The Maps
- Reflection's Contibutions to the Worldwide Genealo...
- Reflections Visits Nova Scotia
- European Union Stuff.