Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sentimental Sunday, The Gate

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


Sure does not look like much, does it??  But, this rusty gate is in some respects, the gate to my heart.  This gate stands in front of the home of my great grandparents, David Halterman and his wife, Ida Matilda Whitmer Halterman.  They were married in 1899 in Hardy County, West Virginia. 

I am not sure when they moved to this home. It sits on land that has belonged to Haltermans for some generations.  I need to verify this statement, but, I believe that David's great grandfather, George W. Halterman, Sr. may have been the original purchaser of the land.  George is found on the 1850 census of the area.

In any event, David and Ida lived there from at least 1900 until they both died, she in 1963, he in 1965.  I knew both of them, I have strong memories of them and their home, and that gate. 



*Home and surrounding land now owned by my first cousin.  Still in the family.

.

3 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

How wonderful that David and Ida's home stayed in the family!

Karen said...

Just think of all the hands that have touched that gate throughout the years...

LindaRe said...

Love that gate. It reminded me of one my grandaunt had in her yard.