Monday, September 13, 2010

MMMMM, Spelling Don't Count? Does It? Even If It Is In Indexing - -

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

The other evening, I was looking at documents and files that I have not properly processed.  Yea, I have a few.

So, after typing an obituary or two, filling in dates, places, tidbits of great data from a death certificate, I decided it was time to see what I might turn up over at FamilySearch.

I was looking for a marriage of Sam(uel) Bean and his bride, Nellie Mae/May Gregory.  Nellie's father was James Gregory and her mother was Nellie Lashbrook.

Now, one would think, that Lashbrook would be sorta easy to read and write and index.  Surprisingly, I have found that is not so.  Well, let's say it this way, I am always surprised and a bit tickled (black humor makes one laugh at strange things) at how I do find Lashbrook spelled.

Today's offering is a classic:

Groom's Name: Sam Bean
Groom's Birth Date: 1877
Groom's Birthplace: Chickasaw Co, Ia.
Groom's Age: 22
Bride's Name: May Gregery
Bride's Birth Date: 1881
Bride's Birthplace: Floyd Co, Ia.
Bride's Age: 18
Marriage Date: 09 Oct 1899
Marriage Place: Nashua, Chickasaw, Iowa
Groom's Father's Name: L. L. Bean
Groom's Mother's Name: Ester Cliaitlan
Bride's Father's Name: James Gregery
Bride's Mother's Name: Mary Sishebrook
Groom's Race: White
Groom's Marital Status: Single
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race: White
Bride's Marital Status: Single
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02558-6
System Origin: Iowa-EASy
Source Film Number: 1027436
Reference Number: bk1 p125
Collection: Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992

Sishebrook, gotta love it!  Course, the groom's mother' name is a bit off too, as I believe her to be Esther Cleveland, not Ester Cliaitlan.
 
Sometime I hope to pull the film and get a copy of the record for myself.  I hope/feel that I will find the index reads this way because of a case of horrible handwriting, or faded pages. Well, I don't really want faded pages, so, let's just go with, horrible handwriting on the original record.  (I dream of pulling that film in Salt Lake City, yea, at THAT library!)
 
In the meantime, another thanks to FamilySearch, even with the funny spellings in the index, I have more information on this couple and their marriage than I did have. 

And, so to answer the question posed in the title of this post --  Nahhhhh

Spelling Don't Count

 - - in family research.

(Or in indexes.)



*Graphic courtesy of Philip Martin

**And to think, that I had Samuel in my data base for years as Samuel Beau, not Samuel Bean. Handwriting got me on that one  - -  again! LOL

.

5 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

I just read "May I Introduce You" over at GeneaBloggers. Wooee! Way to go. Nice write up!

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

I remember it took me years to get over the whole spelling thing when I first got into genealogy. I remember I completely dismissed a guy's inquiries into my tree because I felt he couldn't be related to me since he spelled his name Walden instead of Wallen, LOL! Boy did I have to eat crow as the guy turned out to be related after all. I don't put much importance on spelling these days!

Enjoyed the post "May I Introduce you" about you today! I always enjoy reading your blogs with your easy writing style and I am also appreciative of the comments you frequently leave on my own blog!

Linda McCauley said...

Congrats on being featured in "May I Introduce To You . . ." at GeneaBloggers!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Congrats on "May I Introduce You". Cool beans!!!!!

Carol said...

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate the comments, and the interview was fun to do!