Sunday, May 12, 2013

THE Trip, THE Encore' :: Kern County Museum, Bakersfield California, Oil and Old

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

March 27, 2013

The Kern County Museum in Bakersfield California has a outstanding collection of oil well artifacts.  I'll be honest with you, I have very little idea what all these things are, but, they are large, interesting, Man was enthralled with much of it, and I found them photogenic.  Old, big, rusty, (or not).  I found I don't have to know what they all do to find them photogenic.

This first photo shows how large this stuff really is, look at that lady, she looks pretty small, eh?  These artifacts are part of the exhibit, Black Gold: The Oil Experience.


Sorry, no clue, as to what this is.


Oil derrick (replica):


Pumping arms:


Again, no idea, but this thing was wood and it was HUGE!  Looks similar to photo # 2 above.


This was in a large covered building, belt driven pullys of some sort, I used the panoramic it was so large!


Signs, fascinating, all those names:


Tucked in corner of the museum grounds I discovered a little "city" of businesses, delightful!

OK, now, wouldn't you be thrilled to know that your local museum had managed to save and display signs from around town?  I know I would be!



This is the Sonora Service Station, built in 1936, when gas was about 15 cents per gallon.  It was restored in 1993 by the Model A Ford Club.  They did a marvelous job of it, don't you think?


Man tells me this glass container would be filled with bulk (engine) oil from a large container.  This glass container was then used to put oil in your vehicle.


The Kern County Museum was a special place, a surprise to us, we spent a most enjoyable afternoon there. In a few more days we will finish up the legal issues and the taxes and we will move on down the road in search of the left coast and we SHALL find it!  Come along and fall in love with the left coast with me.  OHH MYYY!



.

1 comment:

FranE said...

Love the pictures, and they made me remember the number of ancestors that moved there because that was a saving grace after the dust storms and jobs were so short in the 30's and 40's.