Friday, November 12, 2010

Memory Triggers - - Dogs and Deer

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

You know how it goes, your mind is wandering (no smarty remarks from my readers about how my mind is ALWAYS wandering!  LOL)

You think one thing, and in a minute or two that memory has led you down a strange path,

to a memory past - -

The yorks are out in the yard, doing what they do out there, and I happen to see a deer, not just ANY deer, but a buck.  In the more than 15 years we have lived here, I have seen less than a handful of bucks.  Lots of mommas and babies, but, not many daddies.

My memory immediately flips to a trip many years ago, in fact, I shared a couple of photos of it with you, but only some of the memories. Here is another.

As we started up the trail on our "little" walk, I was concentrating on not stepping on some of the sharp stones that protruded out of the trail surface, I was wearing thin plastic sandals, not much protection.  Every few steps I would glance up to be sure I was still headed in the correct direction and to check for trees standing in my way.




Not far up the trail when I looked up, I saw deer, a small herd.  No bucks, but deer.  Standing EXTREMELY still.  Almost frozen in time, and my first thought was - -

"Wasn't it nice of the park officials to have these statues of deer out here on the trail, to add some authenticity - - -"

Then, I realized, these were NO statues. They were real!

I giggle at myself every time my memory triggers lead me to this long ago memory, of deer, statues, and hikes with my family.



.

5 comments:

Éire Historian said...

I love it! Thanks for the smiles Carol. Cheers! Jennifer

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Isn't if funny that when we are wandering in their territory that we are surprised and amazed at them being there. Deer are a creature of beauty to me and always cause for pause and celebration for me when I see one anywhere. Some day, when I become brave enough, I will have to share a pix I got of one while in PA....thinking of it is bringing a smile to my face even at 6:48 a.m. ;-)

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Reminds me of a few weeks ago, when I saw a herd of them when we were taking a back route (avoiding traffic)and saw at least a dozen, maybe more in someone's backyard. In town.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Last year I finally saw a buck, but he was chasing a poor doe through a corn field and right into traffic. Everyone stopped their cars, thank goodness, and the two deer leaped right over us and continued their chase into the woods on the other side. What a determined male!

Greta Koehl said...

This reminds me of the time I was driving home, around Christmas-time and happened to glance in a yard - "What a realistic-looking deer statute that is!" I thought - and then realized it was real.