Thursday, November 11, 2010

Don't Click That Link - - Stop - - Think

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

OK, Carol is getting a wee bit paranoid.  I have at least 5 friends/family that have had their email "HACKED" in the last couple of months.  That is a huge increase, I just have not heard of that many friends or family that were victimized this way before.

Some were hacked via Facebook, two in the last two days had their email accounts compromised, one on yahoo and one on msn.com.

Friends, please pay attention to what you "CLICK".  Please think twice before you just automatically quickly click.

I paid the consequences for clicking too fast one time, link from email, email from close friend. Painful.

I am not qualified to instruct you on how to protect yourself, but, I can give you my advice:

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK - - STOP - THINK!

Not all links on Facebook are safe, there are lots of scams and such on FB

Not all links in email are safe, one came yesterday with JUST a link, no message.  I could not figure out why cousin J would send such an email, so I asked her, she had been hacked, took her all day to fix it.

Today's offering came from one of our MOC (Montana Owner's Club) friends, suggesting he knew of this wonderful site for all things electronic.  The grammar stunk, the punctuation stunk, this guy is smarter than that, yep, his email was hacked as well.

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK - - STOP - THINK!

Be careful out there friends.



.

6 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

Always good advice. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, Carol. I once clicked on a greetings card link from someone who had a name that I recognised, only to have my email account hacked and my access suspended. It was in the early days before I realised I should not have to give my log in details to receive the card. Lesson learned!

Greta Koehl said...

Sometimes there is every justification to be paranoid.... And you're right, lousy grammar, etc. is a dead giveaway.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Thanks for the reminder. I use an email address with an MIT alumni account. Just last night I recieved an email with the subject "Final Worning" from MIT. I didn't even open it- put it right into the spam folder. I thought "If MIT really sent me an email, they need to brush up on their spelling." Sure enough, this morning there was a warning out about hackers sending emails with attachments to emails with the .edu suffix.

Nita said...

I got a virus from an e-mail that ruined my hard drive just this past summer. It was sent supposedly by a friend of mine. Luckily, I was still under warranty and the only thing I lost was a few pictures. I was off facebook for a while because of security issues and for other reasons as well, and now I'm wondering if I should get off permanently. It just isn't worth it to me.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

I had four friends who got hacked through Facebook. I kept getting e-mails from them with just a link and nothing else. Very fishy. I too am paranoid these days so...if in doubt, hit "delete". That's my motto!