Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Hope British Columia, Border Crossing, Back in the Lower 48: The Estate Takes on Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

August 14, 2019. 

Hope BC is one sweet little town. my word, it even has a Flying J! Before we left town we stopped for a photo op or two.  They have the most amazing wood carvings downtown. These are just a few of the many.  You could spend several hours walking all around town looking at the beautiful artwork.






They were applying clear protection on this one.  I want that bench!  LOL


This dude (the one in red) was posing for photos (I think bus load of visitors?) and Man decided he had to have his photo taken.  So, I took it!   LOL


Back on the road, nice scenery for a while, then we hit more civilization.  

The wait at the Sumas crossing was bloody murder.  We were stopped in the lineup for a long time, we did not officially time it, but it was easily well over one hour. We were stopped behind a big ole Monaco Motor Home with a toad (the car was towed - toad - yep, a play on words). At some point I look up and he is rolling back towards us.  Seems like we have done this nonsense before. Grrr. I honked. And honked again. And then I just laid on the horn. I don’t know if he was aware he was getting “honked” or he just stopped rolling but he did not hit The Estate’s radiator.  He seemed to have trouble getting through an intersection, and sat there for over 5 minutes. Frustrated I finally jumped to the next (left) lane. ONLY to discover a block further along, that all RVs must be in the far right lane. Sighhhh.  No prior sign/warning.  So blinker on, I edged in behind our friend Mr. Monaco roll backwards dude, by basically just forcing my way in. Maybe I was a truck driver in a prior life?   The car I needed to jump in front of was very kind and let me in with no confrontation. I blinked him generously, thanking him. 

The wait was so long and the line moving so slowly that I was able to put The Estate in park, get out from behind the wheel and walk back and use the “facilities”.   Man did too!  No photos, customs frowns on photos of the border crossing areas, so, we don't take any.  We turn off the camera and GPS, too, just for good measure.

We have heard some of the other border crossings took much longer and some horror stories coming out about being searched and half hour with your fur kid locked in a concrete cage during the search.  It’s probably necessary and normal, but still, I was thrilled to have a nice crossing guard who asked only the basic questions, "where ya from", "where ya been", "how was the visit", asked if we fished?  I answered no, there was a light exchange about why go, if you don’t fish!  "Where ya off to next", at this point, he offered great suggestions. "Any fruit, alcohol, tobacco?" That was about it.  He was chatty, but I felt he was lonely. Ya, I know, I’m probably too naive. But this was the 7th border crossing this trip and I would have to say, they were all fairly easy and all the customs officials were quite pleasant. None tried to trick us like the Canadian dude going into Ontario several years ago.  We are happy with the way all crossings went. 

We ended up tonight in a “resort” near Bothell, where the cable is very limited, and I am not watching; the WiFi is not-functional, the sewers are vented and about every 30 minutes I smell stuff. We are parked with a view of a pond with ducks and geese. As of 7:30, no skeeters. And the Fireball was right good. 




This is the 70th day out.  We drove 153 miles today.  So far we have driven about 8413 miles since we left home. 


.

No comments: