Thursday, June 17, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday, Grossman Phone Switch Box


This phone switch box was used until the late 1980's in the real estate offices where I worked for about 9 years.

I cannot tell you how many people were "cut off" by yours truly while I was learning the proper way to operate the toggle switches.  More than I really want to admit to!

No intercom set up in this office either, so, you had to, well, bellow out, "Mr. Grossman, Line 1".  "Rust, Line 3."  "Please hold."  "Ooops!", followed by whispered purple words!  LOL

A treasured memory and artifact.


* If there were clients in the office, no bellowing, ya got up and walked to the office of Mr. Grossman or the specific salesman.  Gotta have some class in the office, ya know??

Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

.

5 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Neat old switch box. Thanks for sharing!

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"
http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Looks sort of like the intercom system I used at the hospital. Pulled the switch and yelled into the box.

Barbara Poole said...

Carol, why did you decide to save this, were you always interested in old things? Glad it brings back nice memories.

Carol said...

Bill, thank you.

Anne, I think this phone system was designed PRE-intercom. LOL

Barbara, Ya, I am into antiques. Plus I had never seen anything quite like this. When they finally were forced to replace the phone system, I just knew these switch boxes would end up in some dumpster, so, I saw that not all of them did.

Greta Koehl said...

I think it's a really neat gadget! (And I'll bet the American Pickers would offer a good price for it....)