Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Sled Dogs, Denali: The Estate Takes on Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

July 9, 2019

Late wake up.  Smoke still haunts Alaska. 

Walked to bus stop, rode free shuttle to Visitors Center. Had some lunch. Went into the center and watched part is a movie, studied the huge diorama of the park. 

Stood in line and got on another bus to the sled dog demonstration. So, this post is ALL about the dogs.  Yes, they thought it was a wee bit warm too.  The ranger said it was one of the hottest days they have had in the park.  That said, they still managed to put on a nice demonstration and tell us all about the dogs, history of the park, why they use ONLY dogs in the park when one must get off the one road that runs through the park. Despite the heat, for dogs and peeps, we are glad we had this opportunity.

Yep, it's warm - - 


How warm is it??  "I ain't coming out unless I have to" warm - -


"Well, am I missing anything??  Let's have a lookie see - -"


Isn't this a magnificent creature?


"Yes, pet me!! PET ME!  Maybe it will help with the heat.  I love my peeps petting me."


The demo team is getting all hooked up, they are ready!  Look at those tails waggin'. When they tell you these dogs love to work, they are not kidding.  Just before they brought out the dogs they had the visitors all clap and chant.  Let me tell you, every single dog (32 of them) all woke up, jumped, howled, barked, jumped some more, howled and barked some more. Once they were not picked for this demonstration,  they all laid back down, quiet as little church mice.  I was fascinated.


"Hey, what's the hold up?  Time to rock n roll, err, run and pull!"


It was a short run, and what with the heat and smoke, I am glad it was.  The dogs did not care, they loved it!  Play time, or work time, bring it on.


After the run, they are unhooked from the sled and given treats and water.  They loved these treats.


Water, offered each dog.


MMMM. MMMMM.  Good!


"Let me see, does this angle work better?"


"Indeed, I am one happy sled dog!"


It’s warm, almost 80 and about 35% humidity. Draining.  

After the dog sled demo we jumped on the buses again.  Headed back to The Estate, where we relaxed with the air running and curtains drawn. I feel a nap coming on?

Still smoky and the warnings are that it will continue at dangerous levels through tomorrow. I predict there will be no view of Denali at all before we leave. 

Had a hiccup the other day with Sony III and downloading the photos to the computer.  I reran the procedure and more photos transferred. Today since we are trying to stay cool and resting after the sled dog adventure I decided to review photos. One. By. One. On computer? On camera?  It took a while, but all are present and accounted for. 

It’s 5:45 and it is almost 83 here in the campground, Weather Bug reports 79.  Humidity levels about 30%.   About 8ish it cooled off enough and the smoke was light enough that we did not smell it, so we spent a couple of hours sitting in the lawn chairs, researching and reading.  About 10:15, give or take, a skeeter came looking for me.  I went inside!  Ha ha ha to you Mr. or Mrs. Skeeter.  Find someone else to feast on.

What with the full daylight well until after midnight, and me kinda always have been a night owl, I find it hard to go to bed much before midnight.  Yes, even with all the tinfoil darkening we have mounted on the windows and vents.  There are 3 small windows cross from my bed that did not get darkened.  Yep, it's enough light. My nocturnal tendencies are happy!   



.

No comments: