Saturday, July 27, 2019

Girdwood to Glennallen, Matanuska Glacier Too: The Estate Takes on Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

July 24, 2019

Rained a good portion of the night. 

Up early, forgot to take photo of our sweet campsite.  Rats.  

On the road close to 9:30.  Drove 1 mile or less and there is blue sky.  This would change several times during the day, clouds, clear, but generally speaking decent visibility. 

Here are a few photos that show what was half covered up on our way into Seward, the vis is a bit better.






Headed to Anchorage.  Stopped Costco, few supplies, yes we had pizza and a vanilla frozen yogurt. 

Onward to Glennallen. We note in one section of road so many more deciduous trees.  With hundreds of miles of pine trees, this change is notable and enjoyed by both Man and me.

There are hundreds, probably thousands of these small deep lakes in Canada and Alaska.  I am not a fisher(person), but, every time I see one of these little lakes, deep jewels, I think, I'll bet there are some great fish in there.





This pass was quite dramatic.  This shows what happens when Sony III is not on and poised for snaps!  I barely got it on in time to take this photo.  Note, I did not get to zoom past the wiper blade on the passenger side or the GPS unit.  It is quite a small miracle I ever get any photos, between the camera shutting off, something coming up so fast you barely can see it, 45 to 65 MPH speeds, wiper blades, GPS units, and my nemesis, the radio antenna.  I hate that thing.  I mean, really hate that thing.  It jumps up in front of Sony's lens all the time.  Black, ugly thing.


Then came the glacier and the rivers and the mountains. And we can actually see them, or most of them. 

This is the Matanuska Glacier. When I search it on Google Maps, and go to satellite view, it says, it is a vehicle accessible glacier for hiking.  And, we did not stop.  SIGHHHH  




Sony III zooms in on the glacier proper.


A few miles further down the road we can see a different angle, sure looks like it goes around towards the right and then back again towards the left.  I tried looking at this on Google Maps with satellite and my search/look was inconclusive.  Pretty photo tho - -


And, then, out of nowhere pops up some colorful, unusual mountains.  Two photos follow, same side of the road, different zoom.




Fireweed, pretty lakes - -


A pull off with at least 3 rigs, and in the distance a tall mountain with lots of snow up there.  I have not figured out what it is, yet.


Later we find we are back in pines. And I see a fire/smoke to the south of us. I have looked at the fire maps, and again, cannot determine the name of this fire I know I see.  What with slow internet, I will fess up, sometimes I just abandon the search, after 5 and 10 minutes and no results, maps won't load, etc., I just give up.

The fireweed within 20 to 30 miles of Glennallen, is in full bloom, as in it is fully developed, flowering all the way to the very top of the plant. They say once the top has bloomed winter snows will come in about 6 weeks.   

Stayed at a very nice park in Glennallen, Northern Lights.  We drove 235 miles today. 

Today we heard that Alaska ferries are down, employees on strike.  We had even recently, considered a short ferry ride.  Peeps arriving in Juneau are in a snarky situation. Good luck to all.  


.

No comments: