Thursday, July 25, 2019

Homer, Day 3, The Spit, Eagles, Wynn Nature Center: The Estate Takes on Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

July 21, 2019

More sun. Still light smoke.  

After cooked breakfast we cleaned up The Estate and drove back to the Spit.  

Found a parking spot and walked several blocks to the Salty Dawg. It’s a thing on the Spit.  We had a beer. Did not pin a dollar bill to the walls. My attempt at tourist trap for the week. 




Cause I love colors and these were very pretty!


Went a few store fronts down and had a wonderful lunch.

Most seaside villages and towns we have visited have a "Seafarers" Memorial, Homer is no different.  (The lighting was horrible, and I just did not try very hard.  Sorry.)



This was almost at the end of the "Spit", the building and the garden are so well loved and tended.  Someone is going to have lilys to die for in the next several days!


We were almost back to The Estate when I noticed a young lady with a super camera and a monster lens, looking at this crane.  So, I decided to look as well.  Someone has a fish dinner - -


I marked up this photo, there are 3 eagles in it, two on the crane and one in a nest on the other pole (I can't remember what that pole was for, sorry.)


And, with much zoom, who do we see, mom??  The quality of this photo is the best of several I took.  With no tripod or monopod, sometimes I am just happy to get any photo to share with you.


Drove around bit, tried to find the “Deadliest Catch” boats in the marina, failed.


Went to Carl E. Wynn Nature Center, saw flowers, etc., and had a short but good walk.  The trail was a mix of board walk, dirt and lots of roots to not fall over. BTW, the docent at the nature center is from Chelsea Michigan and her grandmother lives about 5 miles from our stick built home. It can be a small world.  

The main entrance to the center - - a very nice boardwalk.


OK, folks, off you go to search the internet - - what do you think this is?  I already know - - I searched!  


Have a seat - - or have a nice photo - - 


This trail was one that demanded your attention, there were many exposed roots and in another area the trail was about 6 inches of a trench like situation, that was not very wide, hard to stay in the trench.  Note, it started out with board walk, the further we got into the woods, the more "interesting" it became.  It was half a mile, but, we worked it.


Cause I love me some fungi - - and my zoom - -  cool color underneath - -


This is a wild geranium.  It is so delicate.


We were lucky in that the fireweed was at its peak show off.  It was everywhere, lining the streets and roads and highways, huge fields of it covered the hills.  I even saw people standing in it with their kids taking photos, just like is done in Texas during blue bonnet season.


This is called, I believe, Monksweed.  I did a bit of searching/researching on this, and it seems there is a nasty side to it.  Note, I never touch a plant I do not know.  Ever.  Just not the smartest thing one can do.  Photos had to be digitally enhanced and each was taken in a different light, so the colors of the greenery look different, it's just the light - - 




Man, examining the large moose rack, he was quite taken with it - - 


Was a nice day and tis time to head back to The Estate, our stay in Homer/Anchor Point is over.


.

No comments: