Saturday, February 23, 2013

Why Digitizing Is So Important

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

First, let me say, I am not casting stones at the county of record, this happens everywhere, paper quality differs, issues (like mice, etc.) happen.

But, this is what can happen to our paper records.  And, this is why I am thrilled that this county has allowed some recent digitizing of portions of their records.


From my experience I would guess that this damage was cause by the breakdown and over handling of the paper.  Lucky for me, seeing that this is a record that I was interested in, the information seems to be there, the losses are minimal.  I reviewed the entire record set, this was one of the most damaged records.

Yes, we do love digitizing of records.




.

2 comments:

Éire Historian said...

Although I do love to see, and very carefully handle original documents, I thank goodness for digitization. I'm glad to know the information you were after was still intact.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Oh I just wish we could get everyone to digitize their records and make them available on line.

Betty