Tuesday, July 12, 2011

THE Trip, THE GRAND Canyon, Day 2, The Rest of The Story

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Yesterday I shared with you a slide show of some of the photos I took on our second day visit at the Grand Canyon, South Rim.  And, yes, today, I have another slide show, taken on that same day, bus day.

But, first, below, right about the middle of the photo, that small streak of almost white, that is the Colorado River, as it snakes it's way through the canyon, a mile deep.  There will be several more photos of the river in today's slide show.


In the photo below, you can JUST see the river, right side, about the middle.  The tree to the right side of this photo is a Utah Juniper.  I became enthralled with the Utah Juniper, alive or dead, they are almost mystical, and to me, certainly artistic.  They grow twisted, and for the most part short, they die and become weathered, beautiful art forms.  


There are times I wish I had a camera that allowed changing of lenses and all those wonderful filters, like haze filters.  But, that would require hauling all that extra stuff with me every time we leave Tana.  Sometimes I wish I had a tripod with me, but, I only feel that way for a few minutes, because as with filters and extra lenses, it would demand I take the tripod with me each and every trip, and I would have to carry it.  There are those really small tripods, but they require that you have some kind of a surface to balance them on, and honestly, there have not been (nor will there be in the next 2 months or so) places to set them up.  Not many surfaces while one is hiking either. 

So, Sony and I plod along, traveling light, comfy to carry, auto focus, sorta fast on the trigger (I do miss some photos).  I take many of my photos quickly, as Man is usually waiting for me.  I don't take a lot of time to take any one photo, frame it in my mind's eye, hopefully can get what I want, snap. (And, my readers will know from previous posts that some of my photos are taken in Big Butt at speeds up to 65 MPH, no time for framing and stuff, point, shoot, hope for the best!  LOL) Back home in Tana I get some assistance from the photo editing program, that said, the photos of the Grand Canyon make me want that haze filter, for a moment or two - - 

And, here is today's slide show.







* We spent our second day in the Grand Canyon on April 20, 2011
.

6 comments:

FranE said...

Took me back to our trip to the Grand Canyon, Beautiful and awe inspiring. I love the way the trees seem to survive on nothing in the middle of no where. That was a great shot of the tree out in the middle of what appeared to be a plateau

Kathy Reed said...

I've not been to the Grand Canyon. Your pictures make we want to get there ASAP.

Éire Historian said...

Another magnificent set of photographs Carol (no filter needed)! I knew that the Grand Canyon was 'grand' in scale, but I feel like your photos really give a great sense of that. The canyon looks as though it goes on forever. So Beautiful. Thank You for sharing these with all of us. I've really enjoyed seeing them.

Again, Cheers to you,

Jennifer

Greta Koehl said...

I don't know how you are able to set the bar higher and higher and outdo yourself from day to day, but you do. Beyond awesome.

my Heritage Happens said...

Fabulous photos of the grand canyon Carol!

Michelle Goodrum said...

Fantastic photos. So clear and with wonderful shadows and lighting. I almost feel as if I'm standing right there with you. I just never get tired of the Grand Canyon.

Also, love the slide show feature!