Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chantilly, Tilly, Miss T, RIP

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

For the last week to 10 days our Miss Tilly has been ailing.  Some of you may remember my mentioning in previous posts that all of our fur kids are older and all in pre-renal and pre-heart failure.  We left home in mid-November knowing full well that we may have to find a vet and make that hard decision.  And, today, sadly, we did just that.

We thought it would be Gallagher, Mr. G, that would be the one we would loose, he supposedly was the weakest and sickest of the clan.  So, we are a bit stunned that we lost Tilly first.

I have always said that the comfort of the animal comes first and when they are miserable, it is time.  It was time.  She was lethargic, had little interest in food, and that dog LOVED to eat!  All the efforts I was making to perk her up only lasted for a few hours, and, believe me, I pulled out every trick in the book that I knew to pull out.  She was in renal failure.

We found a local vet, Southern Hills Animal Clinic, right here in Custer. They were very busy, but agreed to work us in around their other clients/patients. Thank you to the entire staff, they were terrific.  Could not have asked for nicer, nor more compasionate.

Tilly was pure yorkie with a dash of imp.  She totally won my heart when I brought her home as a pup and she managed to get to the top of the stairs, just as she is in the photo above.  Course, she did not carry her bone up there at that young age.  I am not sure how she got up there in the first place, I thought she was way too small to do stairs, but, she did.  But, she was too small to get back down, and she won my heart by tipping her head sideways at me, as if to say, "here I am, come get me".  She had me, I was mush in her paws, err, tipped head.  She continued to tip her head right to the end, and each and every time she did it, my heart melted once more.

She also suffered from separation anxiety, she wanted her momma.  But, she would be fine with Man after I left the premises.  She was known tho to stand/sit and lie at the window and watch out it, waiting for me to drive up that long curved drive.  She tended to lie there until I came home, or so Man tells me.  I know that if I went outside and left her inside, either the house or Tana, she would be right there at one of the doors watching for me.

Yorks are terriers, I frequently say they are terriers, err, terrorists.  They are pretty much fearless, some really don't like cats, mine don't.  They  have attitude, more attitude than should rightfully be in that tiny body.  Yes, they have a high pitched bark, yip yip yip, fraid that comes with the yorkie body, err territory.  It is all that attitude in that 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 pound body that wins many yorkie owners over.  Until you have owned a yorkie, or rather been owned BY a yorkie, it is hard to understand,  but when you have been owned by a yorkie you will understand the phrase, you have been "yorked".

Tilly yorked me those many years ago at the top of the stairs, and I was never the same.


Rest in peace my Tilly, my girl.  Mommy and Daddy could not subject you to any more discomfort here on earth, but, we do miss you so.  See ya at the Rainbow Bridge, with Abby and Benjamin and Sebastian and all the kitties.




Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

.

14 comments:

Éire Historian said...

Dear Carol,

Both my husband and I are so very sorry to hear that you and Man have lost Miss Tilly. This is a wonderful tribute that you have posted to her, and I am sure she knew that she was very deeply loved. We send hugs to you and to Miss Tilly's siblings from both of us and from our fur kids Sarah and Ulee.
Thinking of Miss Tilly tonight as she crosses Rainbow Bridge.

Jennifer

Greta Koehl said...

Oh, no, I am so sorry to hear this. She looks like a such a sweet little girl. But I know that with you and Man, she had a great dog life here on earth.

Anonymous said...

Carol & "Man",
We feel your pain and relief for Miss Tilly. We too are so close to losing our "Jenny" after 16 years of kinship and "parental" love. Although you will miss her terribly you realize she is in that better place or Rainbow Bridge as you call it. Hugs and kisses to you both.

Deb & Ron A

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

My deepest sympathy to you and Man.

Nancy said...

Carol, Tilly is adorable and I'm so sorry for your loss. Having to send a beloved pet to the Rainbow Bridge is one of the most painful things I've ever had to do. I think I know how you must feel. Blessings to you.

Becky Wiseman said...

Aw, I'm truly saddened to hear that Tilly has gone on to the "great reward" and I know that she will be missed. Big time. Like you, I was surprised that it wasn't Mr. G who went first. And just when she was getting "comfortable" with Man. You did the right thing, and I know from experience that it was not an easy thing to do. You did what had to be done. Bless you. And hugs to both you and Man.

Karen said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful little doggie. She hurts no more... after a lifetime of love and companionship, you have done the one biggest act of love for her, by relieving her of her pain. {{{{carol}}}} My heart goes out to you and Man.

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

With tears in my eyes, I say "beautiful tribute" to your beloved pet. I am so sorry for you and Man.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

So, so sorry Carol! Sure is hard to lose our furry family. Been there done that more times than I care to think about and will go through it again and not looking forward to it. Love them while you can and know when it's time to let them go. Painful...so painful! Hugs!

Joan said...

Blessings to all - here and now and beyond, fur-covered or not.

Barbara Poole said...

I wonder how Miss Tilly enjoyed her first day in Heaven. She is delighted people are saying nice things and she wishes she could have told you not to worry because she would be okay. What sad news to hear, naturally, but God wanted to take her. My thoughts, prayers and lots of hugs go to you both.

Missy/Bayside Research said...

What a beautiful post about Miss Tilly, but I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm a sucker for the head tip too. She was a gorgeous Yorkie.

Michelle Goodrum said...

We are so sorry for your loss. I know how important your furry family members are to you. Take care of each other, including the rest of the 4 legged clan. I am sure they are mourning too.

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Miss T - you look absolutely adorable with your hair done and your red bow :-) It's awful when we lose a member of the family, but you'll meet again. Jo