Friday, June 3, 2011

One Day's Work

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

In the Family History Library here in Salt Lake City, they ask that you record the numbers of all the films you pull, a film census of sorts.  So, I have been trying to remember to do so.  The other day, I pulled all these films, except the first two, which I actually pulled the night before (they did not pick up my census report and I found it sitting on my reader of choice the next morning, so, I just kept adding numbers to it).


I was on the "images" trail again, trying to get digital copies of documents, birth, death, marriage, deeds, whatever I can grab.  Sometimes the document is cause for happy dance, sometimes, bewilderment, sometimes your heart goes, ohhhhhhhhh, how sad.  Here is a "how sad" that took my breath away.



I gasped when I read this poor baby had a temperature of 110 +, he must have been on fire.




*This child is the grandson of MOMM, "Mary of Many Marriages", Mary Lovely, or Mary Lasore/Lesoer/Luvly and about another dozen spellings and surnames.

** Penicillin was not discovered until 1928, per this website, and was not introduced until the 1940's as further explained here.
.

2 comments:

Éire Historian said...

Carol,

Oh my goodness, such a mix of feelings: I'm happy that you found this, but what an account of the death of a child. I cannot even imagine how the parents of little Donald felt. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jennifer

Susan Clark said...

So easy to forget how fragile life was before antibiotics. Even aspirin might have helped reduce the fever. For all the problems, we are blessed to be living today.