Friday, March 25, 2011

Genie Stuff From Arizona

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Yes, I am managing a tad bit (very small 'tad' by the way) of genie stuff while on THE Trip.  Including, but, not limited to:

1.)  I'll be attending the Seminar with Dick Eastman at the Family History Society of Arizona this weekend.  Not known for attending many seminars, I just could NOT pass up this opportunity!


2.)  I have been awarded the One Lovely Blog Award by three fabulous bloggers, Michelle of The Turning of Generations, and Lori of Genealogy and Me, and Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski of In My Life.  Thank you ever so much to these lovely ladies.  All three write wonderful blogs, go visit them.




3.)  There is a new search engine in town, and it is getting a LOT of press, some good, some not so good, there are some very "warm" discussions floating around in blog land.  This new genie specific toy is call Mocavo.  It is very new, just days old.   So, here is the deal dear readers, I am not going to do a huge review of this, there are other bloggers out there doing a bang up job of just that.  I am just informing you of it's existence.  Go try it with the up front knowledge that it is VERY new, it is experiencing growing pains, they say they will be adding all kinds of new "hits" in the days and weeks to come.  You can suggest sites for them to add.  It does not appear to cover blogs at this time.  But, try it.

I found an old querie from 2002 where a researcher I had worked with had lost my email and was trying to reach me.  MMMM, I did not find the querie till the other day, email addy is old, but, I found that researcher also has pages at Genealogy.com with a much newer email addy.  I also found an obit for a young bride, she died in 2004.  I did not know she had died, did not have her parents names, and more.  All this over my AM cup of jo, with eyelids still extremely droopy.

Never too many tools for genie researchers, as long as you know the limitations of any specific site.  So, you have the disclaimers, go forth and try.

Happy Researching!


No comments: