Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday, Austin Minnesota

When afflicted by the family research bug, or as cousin Anne likes to call it, OCFRD, Obsessive Compulsive Family Research Disease, you end up visiting cemeteries, LOTS of cemeteries.  At first they may look similar, gates, roads, headstones, flowers, flags.  Then, you start to notice differences.  One cemetery might have only flat stones.  One may have a grand mixture of old and new stones.  Some are sadly, over grown.  Some may even have locked gates so you have to go hunting up the gatekeeper.  When you start realizing the differences, if you are like me, you start taking photos.  These were taken at Oakwood Cemetery, Austin, Mower County, Minnesota.  I had never seen floral arrangements displayed this way, the photos do NOT do this justice.  It was stunning!



And, the reason we visited:


Henrietta A. (ETTA) nee Lashbrook

born 27 Feb 1897 Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota
Married 1st, Clarence Raymond Barrs
Married 2nd, Arthur Dewey Jensen
died 8 Dec 1991 Austin, Mower County, Minnesota
buried Oakwood Cemetery, Austin, Mower County, Minnesota.


Copyright 2010, CABS for Reflections From the Fence.

.

4 comments:

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

How different! I've never seen a cemetery quite like this one. Unique!

Anne Percival Kruszka said...

Wow, I have never seen anything like that!

Barbara Poole said...

And I haven't seen anything like it either. Were they all artificial flowers?

Carol said...

It has been a few years since we visited this cemetery, but, the way I remember it, the planters were filled with real flowers. The pots were pottery, very heavy. At least that is my memory of it. Looking at the photos now, I have to wonder at my memory, but, the impression of "OH WOW" remains! LOL