Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday's Stories, 52 Ancestor Weeks, Week # 4, Maria Eva Molder/Molter

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


This is week 4 of my participation Amy Johnson Crow's, once a week challenge to blog about one ancestor a week, tell their story, biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem — anything that focuses on that one ancestor. More about the challenge can be found at her Blog, No Story Too Small.

Last week I shared Valentin Rudig AKA Valentine Ruthig.  By the way, you may want to revisit, I found his baptismal record and added it to the post!

This week I will review and share what I have about his mother, Maria Eva Molder/Molter.

Maria daughter of Christian Molter and Maria Eva Wagner was born on March 19, 1796 in Kuebelberg, Bayern, Germany.  She was baptized on March 20, 1796 at Kuebelberg, Bayern, Germany according to "Baptism, death, marriage and confirmation records of the Protestant Reformed Church (Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche in German) of Miseau and Obermiseau, Bayern, Germany.  LDS films 1457640, 0247639, and 0193094."  Her baptismal record is below, it is the second record on this page.


Maria was confirmed in 1809, the record of this confirmation is found in the Protestant Reformed Church of Obermiesau, Bayern, Germany.  I currently do not have a scanned digital version of that record on my computer.

Maria married Johannes (John) Ruthig, son of Johannes Philip Rudig and Maria Margaretha Hirsch on Jan 5, 1817 in Miseau, Bayern, Germany.

Maria and John had three children: Katharina, Valentine, and Johannes.  All three of the children were born in Germany.

I found Maria's name with the Ruthig family when they were immigrating, via New York in August of 1836. Also listed are her husband John, children: Cath (for Catherine or Katherine, found spelled both ways), Valentin and son John.


I thought it might be fun to see what I could net search on the "Albany".  I failed to find an image of any kind that was specific to the Albany.  I did however find an image on this web page that probably is fairly close.  This page by Peter Biggins shows the ship "Johannes" from a watercolor about 1835.  The image is about half way down the page.

Along the way, on a Wikipedia page I found this interesting image, but, it is from 1874, a full 38 years after the Ruthig family immigrated. I can imagine the "feeling" is similar, but, the ship and the clothing and more will be skewed due to the dates.

Maria is found enumerated on the 1851 and 1861 Canadian census of Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.

Maria died between the 1861 census and the 1871 census.  She does not appear in the Ontario Death Indexes.  I have not discovered her burial place.

My wish list for Maria Eva Molder/Molter Ruthig:

Scan and link her confirmation records from the Miseau church.

Locate, if possible, the actual passenger list from 1836.

Lutheran church records from Ontario.

Any newspaper articles, obituaries, marriage notices.

Locate place of burial.




* Additional source data can be obtained by contacting me, see the right hand column for a yahoo email address.

** 52 Ancestors Weeks Button courtesy of Amy Johnson Crow.

*** I use many resources to research, FamilySearch.org is a free site.  Ancestry.com is a pay site for which I pay, no discounts, etc. The Library and Archives of Canada site is a free site.  None of these sites have asked me to review them, or use them.  See my Disclaimers page for further details.

.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, the handwriting in the first image... I have a few photocopies that look just like it. Thanks to German Lutheran church records, our family has gone back more than a few generations as well.