Tuesday, January 7, 2014

"Snow"

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence




This blog post  is part of my participation in a weekly writing meme called, "The Book of Me, Written By You"  You too can be part of this experiment/experience, there is information at this Facebook page.

I may or may not publicly share what I write each week. This week I share.

Week 15:  This week’s prompt is Snow

Do you live in area where you routinely have snow?
How old were you when you first saw snow?
Do you remember it?
Did you make snowmen?
Throw Snowballs
Sledge Rides
What is the image that first came to mind when you read snow?
What does snow feel like, smell like
How do you see snow?

I suppose it seems somehow appropriate to be posting this during a week of horrific snow and cold.  Back in SE Michigan at our stick built they have about 18 inches of snow, there were road closures because there were 3 to 4 foot drifts.  One of our sons sent this photo from his back yard.  Somewhere under that pile is a table.


Do you live in area where you routinely have snow?  I have lived most of my life in SE Michigan, and yes, we routinely have snow, sometimes in October and sometimes in late April, and always in between.

How old were you when you first saw snow?  Since I lived my first three years in Virginia, I would have to guess I may have seen some there, but, for sure, when we moved to Michigan.

Do you remember it? I do not remember a specific "first" snow.

Did you make snowmen?  Oh, yes.  And, taught our children and even the grandtwins.

Throw Snowballs.  MMMM, yes.  I don't have that great a throwing arm, but, ya, a few snowballs.

Sledge Rides.  Yes, some of my strong memories of winter and my childhood.  Pulling the sled by it's rope up the hills.  Sledding down, holding on for dear life.  I went net searching for a photo of a sled like we had as children.  This page had the best photo I saw, the first photo.

We were blessed with a good snow one year when the grandtwins were small and took them for their first sled ride in our yard.  The blessing came in that the temps hovered near freezing, maintaining the snow pack, but, not so bitter cold that we could not enjoy our romp.


What is the image that first came to mind when you read snow?  Many images that come to mind when first I think snow are those of the beauty, and it is beautiful as long as I don't have to drive in it.  Here is one of our pond, there had been a wind event too, as evidenced by the limbs down on the ground.  This photo brings quietness and peace to my soul.


Then there is this image of the fur kids:


And there is this image of our custom van and the Layton travel trailer parked near Gaylord Michigan where we could cross country ski.  This was the morning after a pretty good blizzard type storm.  The snow was "imbedded" into the trunks of the pine trees from the wind driven snow.  When the wind stopped, the snow continued for hours more, piling up on the limbs.  One of the most fabulous sights I can remember.  Gosh, I liked snow and cold then.  Yep, you read it here.


What does snow feel like, smell like.  It feels wet and cold. When it is deep it is difficult to trudge through. When there is not a lot of it, it can be slick, and you can fall.  When it is that kind of snow that is more like little ice shards, and it is blowing hard, it cuts, it hurts your face.  Smell??  Maybe, fresh?

How do you see snow?  I suppose to be honest my days of infatuation with all things snow are pretty much over.  The coldness hurts.  I am concerned about falling.  I don't care to drive in it, because so many other drivers are, well, crazy, wild and willing to risk life and limb.  I'm rather fond of life and limb these days.  So, I suppose I see snow as something to escape.

Below:  Man plowing Tana and the original Big Butt out, January 2005.  Escape followed soon after - -


For now, at this time and place in my life, this is the memory of snow I like to keep, but, not experience.  Out of focus, gently snow covered, quiet - -



.

2 comments:

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

This Floridian loves this one Carol! What wonderful, wonderful pictures!!

FranE said...

Brrrr. Only experience a blizzard once in my life. Not so much fun. We had snow often in Oklahoma, but not like the buried in North. I think it is beautiful when you are in looking out. Okay, my genes say I am a southern person. ;) Loved your post.