Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence
According to the Yellowstone National Park web site, the population of their herd of bison fluctuates from 2300 to 4500 members. I can tell you that when Man and I left Yellowstone our lasting memories were of snow in June, cold crystal clear waters running wild and deep in streams, rivers, water falls and lakes, stinky thermal geysers and pots and hot springs, the true green of pines and trees and grasses, and Bison.
On our way home at the end of a long day, June 23, 2011, the huge herd of bison that seemed to be hanging out along Madison River between Madison and West Yellowstone were off the side of the road, but, still attracting a large crowd of humans, including, yep, Man and I. We snagged a parking spot in one of the viewing areas and watched the babies playing, kicking up their heels in the dust and the parents lumbering around content to chew a bit of grass.
I shot a little over 30 photos, and if you don't tell my kids, I will fess up to getting out of Big Butt and taking my photos at the edge of the parking lot. Of course, bison have no idea I am standing in a parking lot, and so, they do tend to wander over into "my" space, errr, their space, always their space. I am only so brave, and snicker, I don't think it is that brave at all. While the bison were 30 or more feet away I was so so in my comfort zone. But, when one walked closer than that, I started hugging someones car. Not Big Butt, someone else's car! Oh, and Man was not real happy with me. So, don't do as I do, do as I say, best to stay in your car! Cause they can run at speeds of around 35 MPH, so, mmmm, that 30 feet, well, let's be honest, it was not far enough, nor was it safe.
But, enough of that, no more words, just 7 of the photos of the bison of Yellowstone:
* Now, please remember, that Sony can zoom to 20 times! Remember before you lecture me for being too close! LOL
More Special Pages From Reflections
- Heritage Flag & The Family Names
- Friend of Friends
- THE Trip, The Maps
- Disclaim THAT! Beholden to - -
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Two
- THE Trip, THE Encore' :: The Maps, Part Three
- 2013 Thankful November
- Families Past :: Pedigree Charts
- Edna May Fenton Stevens Time Line Experiments
- Winter Sojourn 2014/15 :: The Maps
- Reflection's Contibutions to the Worldwide Genealo...
- Reflections Visits Nova Scotia
- European Union Stuff.