Saturday, December 17, 2011

THE Trip, Yellowstone National Park, Bison, Symbol of the American West

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

According to the Yellowstone National Park web site, the population of their herd of bison fluctuates from 2300 to 4500 members.  I can tell you that when Man and I left Yellowstone our lasting memories were of snow in June, cold crystal clear waters running wild and deep in streams, rivers, water falls and lakes, stinky thermal geysers and pots and hot springs, the true green of pines and trees and grasses, and Bison.

On our way home at the end of a long day, June 23, 2011, the huge herd of bison that seemed to be hanging out along Madison River between Madison and West Yellowstone were off the side of the road, but, still attracting a large crowd of humans, including, yep, Man and I.  We snagged a parking spot in one of the viewing areas and watched the babies playing, kicking up their heels in the dust and the parents lumbering around content to chew a bit of grass.

I shot a little over 30 photos, and if you don't tell my kids, I will fess up to getting out of Big Butt and taking my photos at the edge of the parking lot.  Of course, bison have no idea I am standing in a parking lot, and so, they do tend to wander over into "my" space, errr, their space, always their space.  I am only so brave, and snicker, I don't think it is that brave at all.  While the bison were 30 or more feet away I was so so in my comfort zone.  But, when one walked closer than that, I started hugging someones car.  Not Big Butt, someone else's car!  Oh, and Man was not real happy with me.  So, don't do as I do, do as I say, best to stay in your car!  Cause they can run at speeds of around 35 MPH, so, mmmm, that 30 feet, well, let's be honest, it was not far enough, nor was it safe.

But, enough of that, no more words, just 7 of the photos of the bison of Yellowstone:











*  Now, please remember, that Sony can zoom to 20 times!  Remember before you lecture me for being too close!  LOL
.

10 comments:

Susan Clark said...

I know I'm in a mad about babies mode, but truly, the young'ns are so dear. Great pictures - again.

Michelle Goodrum said...

Delightful! I particularly like the last one of the 3 children.

I wasn't aware until our visit to Yellowstone, when we were warned by the ranger at the visitor center, that bison can be rather, ummm, ornery. I always thought they were docile like cows. Glad you didn't have any "close encounters!"

Mark Krugman said...

Nice pics!

Mark Krugman said...

Nice pics!

Joan said...

My favorite pic is of the close-up of he old guy --- at least he looks old.

Greta Koehl said...

Love the second pic from the top. Looks like he/she had a sudden itch.

Barbara Poole said...

You've kept us waiting a long time for these photos...we all enjoy babies in the wild. Very nice.

Carol said...

Glad you all liked the Bison. Normally I would have run this series over at Flora and Fauna, but, since the Bison are such a HUGE (play on words intended) part of the entire Yellowstone experience, I felt they belonged here at Reflections as well.

Yes, Michelle, they can be ornery. And, this was not my last encounter with Bison. At and around Custer South Dakota, I had several more, but, mmm, I was there first (she says whining). AKA, they sure can sneak up on a body considering their size! YIKES.

Man was not happy to have to stop for these photos, we were after all very tired, but, that whining thing, mmmm, snicker, I wanted baby photos and these were among the first we had seen. I am happy to have them and be able to tell the story!

Anonymous said...

Cute babies, brave Carol :-)

Éire Historian said...

Great Photos, once again! I love the last one, especially.