Saturday, December 10, 2011

No Total Lunar Eclipse, But, Pray Tell, WHAT is This?

Copyright 2011, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Nope, Man and I are too far east to even have hoped for a viewing of the total lunar eclipse that my friends in the western US saw this morning.  Of course, there is that "you gotta be up and outside at o dark thirty".  HAHA, like that is gonna happen unless one of the fur kids just HAS to go potty.  Let's just say we don't really have an alarm clock in Tana, so we either wake up, the fur kids wake us up, or we sleep!

But, they do need to go outside during the night, and last night was no exception, one trip was at about 12:15 Central time.  I looked at the skies, I do that frequently when they are going potty, I love to see what the conditions are, how many stars I can see - -

Last night I saw this (photo is not the best, no tripod, too many lights on by Tana, etc., etc., etc.)


Not sure how well you can see it, but, in the middle is the full moon.  Surrounding it was a full halo.  Not one star in sight.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like this before.  Have you??




* By the way, you might try clicking on the photo, it will open to a black screen behind the photo, I think you can see it a bit better that way.

** Had to do some google research, this site explains my halo.  Try a google search of this term, halo around full moon, interesting stuff.
.

2 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Amazing shot, and glad you had the foresight to grab your camera. I wonder what it'll look like tonight.

Jan Kelpe said...

I have seen this, seems like always in the winter. Mom used to have a saying about it but for the life of me I can't remember. She always had sayings that the old people would say--had something to do with the wheather. I can remember the sundogs one but not this one