Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Illinois to Indiana, Rank Roads, Fawn at Risk, Good Eats at the Blue Gate: The Estate Takes on Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

September 14, 2019

Sad to leave this little place of heaven, but real life and home await.  Today we edge even closer. It is sunny, cool breeze and 65 at almost 10 am.  Had to turn the furnace on for one round this morning to take the chill off. Seriously, heavenly.  

Stopped at FlyingJ to top off the fuel and stayed for breakfast. It was good!  

The farmers here are blessed with super rich soil. Dark. I’ll bet it smells heavenly earthy when freshly tilled.

The corn looks good,  it has not started turning yet.  A month or so out from harvesting it.   The soy here has very little yellow. I am seeing a few trees with a wee bit of the leaves turning. 

The roads just west of Joliet, driving was on I-80, frankly, STINK!  Pot holes, bad ones, could not miss em all, and they were rattlers.  I would rather drive 100 miles of frost heaves around Tok Alaska than those 10 or 20 around Joliet.  I am glad however, that you did not hear the purple words flying around The Estate.  I was not a happy driver.  Stressful driving.  I was glad it was not any longer.  SIGH.

We hit 12,000 miles for the trip today. Note, it says we have been "moving" during this trip 268 hours and 36 minutes.  Well, then!  LOL  Also note, that I was NOT exceeding the speed limit at the moment the photo was taken.  


Once east of Gary, I note that some of the corn has turned and should be ready to harvest any day.  Saw a few trees of yellowing leaves and 2 of bright red.  The sumac is turning red as well.  Fall is coming.

On the Indiana Turnpike I see a small deer standing very close to the highway, I could not move to the other lane of travel.  I let off the accelerator, I was reluctant to slam on the brakes, as there was so much traffic surrounding me. Tightly held on to the steering and prayed and told that baby to stay put. It did not, but thankfully it went back down the embankment. I was a bit surprised, it was early in the afternoon, not dusk. 

We found our campsite and drove right over to Shipshewana and had dinner at the Blue Gate.  They now have a buffet downstairs, and it was scrumptious.  This area, Elkhart County, RV capital of the world, is a favorite of ours, almost feels like coming home.

The Blue Gate always does such a nice job on their holiday themed decorations.  They are ready for fall.


We drove  232 miles today.  Eastern Time Zone. Our last “border” crossed for a while, well, we think. Stay tuned. 



.

No comments: