Sunday, September 8, 2019

Headed to Cheyenne Wyoming, Geological Wonders: The Estate Takes On Alaska

Copyright 2019, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

September 4, 2019

On the road by 9:15. It is 61 degrees  

The geological formations take my breath away!  Dramatic, to say the least.  




















First stop. Fuel. 

Land flattens out.  Oil wells. 

Helicopter.  OK, this was just lots o luck.  I spied this helicopter and zoomed and took two photos.  Here they are, they are not great photos by any ones definition:




I was much too far away to get crisp photos.  When I had a chance to look at the photos, look at this. This is the first photo, edited with Adobe.


Yep, that is a human being hanging on.  The helicopter lifted him and what appears to be a large "part" somewhere, flew him over to the tower, lowered him, he dropped off the part to another human standing on the tower and then, lifted the first human off and I presume they went back and did this operation a few more times??  I gotta say, despite the poor quality of the photos, this was really fun and interesting to capture.


Continental Divide, almost 7000 feet.  

Trains run along 80. Freight. We are headed to Cheyenne today, we past Kemmerer yesterday. JC Penney went to Cheyenne from Evanston to marry Berta Hess.  Did he travel this route?  Well, yes, I did research this, and found a train route map from about 1895 (J.C. and Berta married in 1899).  I want to study the map more, but, it sure looks like J.C. would have traveled a very similar route as I-80.  Just a silly, but, fun thing.  Neat stuff I turn up when my RVing life and my genealogy life collide.

Miles of vast high desert. Snow fence. A few head of cattle. Trains. 

Oil or propane?  Each collection area seems to have a small bank of solar panels (to monitor from afar?)


11:30 and it’s 82 degrees. Odd thing. No bugs on the windshield?  Too dry for bugs?  Pffftttt. 

Continental Divide again.  And 7000 feet again. 

The road just stretches on and on, and yep, there in the middle foreground, more snow fencing.


We have noted these different marks on the highway in several states.  We have no idea.  Anyone know?  Let me hear from you. So far, I have not hit the right search words in my internet searches.


Sinclair, Carbon County, Wyoming - - They sell fuel.  This is not all of the processing area.  It was rather large.


Lunch in a rest area.  This neat bridge was nearby.


Climbed to about 7800. Think it was 7860 but no photographic proof.  Then.  As soon as I typed this up we went. Last photo shows 8664 feet! That was close to the "top".




Miles and miles of snow fences. Wonder how many board foot worth?  (A board foot is one square foot, one inch thick.)


Somewhere close to Cheyenne, Verizon finally started to function, weak, but function. First time in several weeks. 


Arrived Cheyenne about 3:15. We drove 277 miles today. 

AT & T does not work here, no service.  Sprint is weak, basically doesn’t connect.  



.

No comments: