Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Luna Mimbres Museum, Deming New Mexico, Winter Sojourn 2014/15

Copyright 2018, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

NOVEMBER 2014

More information about this fantastic museum can be found here,  and note, no entrance fee, aka, FREE!

Here are some photos, highlights of this great collection.  I took about 190 photos that day, many for my own delight.  The lighting many times interfered with a nice photo, but, not the memories.  In no particular order.

Front and back of what appears to be a early "oil" delivery "truck".  Nicely cleaned up, I was taken by this unusual vehicle, fascinating.



OK, how many of you remember what this is?  How many of you may have used one in your working days? I did! Yep, I sure did! I know, makes me an antique. 


I would love to have a replica of this hanging in my home.  Simplicity at it's best.


They actually had two "iron lungs".  Man and I have seen these in other museums, but, I believe this is the first "baby" size one we ever came across. (Get your kids vaccinated, we don't need polio coming back.)


Saddles, do they spark your imagination?  How many miles, how many riders, how many hours spent in the saddle?


See, the glare/reflections of the lights?  I tried, really I did.  SIGH.  A collection of bells.  It was so interesting.  Really!


A collection of thimbles and sewing aids, this is just part:


Lace and collars and - - - -


And, the doll room!  OHHHHH MYYYY!  You can read a very nice history about it here.


Isn't this lovely? I imagine someone refurbished it, but, just lovely.  OK, maybe "cute as a bug" is a better descriptive word?


Again, in no particular order here are some shots of Native American artifacts.  I believe most, if not all of these, reside in the Mimbres Indians Pottery Room:







Now, this rug, is very handsome indeed, and this is a word for word transcription of the signage the museum had below it:

“Navajo Rug

If this rug could talk, oh the tales it could tell.  Rumor has it that a cowboy walked into Madam Millie’s one evening carrying this rug.  He dropped it on the floor and said, “I want trade.”  The rug covered the floor of one of the rooms at Madam Millie’s for many years. It sure could have some good stories!  Talk to us! Talk to us!



Rug was purchased at a disposal sale at Madam Millies’ Brothel, Silver City, New Mexico.”


Outside the building there is a nice Veterans Memorial area, paying honor to those that have served to protect America.


If you ever get to Deming, do visit this jewel of a museum.  You will not be sorry.




.

No comments: