Monday, August 20, 2018

Daniel's House - The One Up The Hill

Copyright 2018, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Recently (recently as in the last 5 years, give or take, well, maybe 10, LOL)  I was told that my great-great grandfather Daniel Halterman and his wife, Barbara Delawder Halterman, lived for some years in the house "up" the hill from the home I always knew as that of my great grandfather, David Halterman. 

David Halterman and his wife, Ida Whitmer Halterman, also lived up the hill for some years, as my mother has memories of them there.  At some point David built the house I grew up knowing as their home, down the hill, right on Route 259.

So, in an attempt to keep this more clear than mud:

Carol, her mother is:
Eloise, her mother was:
Minnie Halterman Trumbo, her father was:
David Halterman, his father was:
Daniel Halterman, who died in 1934, well before my time.

Here are Daniel and his wife, Barbara Delawder Halterman.  I was told this was at the "Criders" home, taken about 1905?  Is the Criders home the same as the home "up" the hill??  


This is a recent satellite view of the property, thanks to GoogleMaps.


In 2016, when we were last in Rockingham County Virginia, we were given the opportunity to actually visit this Halterman home.  We met the right person at the right time, with the right ties to the current occupants of the home.  



We arrived pretty much unannounced and were greeted warmly.  Allowed to go inside, they also graciously agreed to let me take a few photos.  The fireplace in the front room.


The kitchen in it's current form:


Ceiling in another area of the downstairs:


And, the stairwell to the second story:


We wandered around the yard some, taking in the views (terrific for the record) and being thankful for the opportunity.  And, enjoying her flowers as well.


We did not stay long, as these nice people had things to do and places to go.  We could not have been more grateful for their allowing us to intrude in their day the way they did.  




* While writing this blog, I discovered, much to my pleasure and delight that Rockingham County Virginia County Clerk has digitized some of the grantee and grantor indexes and placed them online.  You know what I say, review, review, review and look for new resources/data sets online.  It will never ALL be online, of course, however, this was a nice delightful surprise for me.  There are some indications of deeds between Daniel and David around 1919. I have a drawer full of "Halterman" research, and, yes, a bunch of it has not been processed or scanned, and yes, there are deeds in there.  That is what this consolidation project is all about.  I will dig through that drawer at some point.  I am afraid if I start this morning, I will get lost in genie heaven and I will be happy and distracted.  So, stay tuned - -

.

No comments: