Monday, December 4, 2017

Aunt Geneva Writes, Page 6

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

As genealogists go, I have been a pretty lucky one.  I have had great helpers, genie angels, and my great-aunt Geneva Halterman was interested in this sport and contributed our lines to several family books.  I am also lucky enough to have copies of 10 pages of history she wrote.  In a series of 10 posts, I will share them.  Images and my attempts at transcription of them.  Here is page 6.


young people became converted to the Mennonite faith.

At this time there was talk of having a Sunday school in the school houses at (XXX)  near the state line, then Beny Moved to Broadway and it was not until about 1920 or 1921, Timothy Showalter with the help of his family, Paul, Mark, and Lewis started the first S. School beginning in April and continuing until October.  Some of the classes were held by the children sitting on the zig zag rails under the many spreading walnut trees.  Then one class was held on the front porch of a residence across the highway.

This was the hey day of the Model T Ford - - then the Sunday School teacher travelled by car although the road was bad in places.  Not until 1934 was the (good - - lined out) road under construction completed.

The Sunday School progressed and grew under the direction of the members of the George Showalter family assisted by many others, like John Algers, Dewey Emswiler and some from Park View.  There was talk all the while of a church, especially by Rev. Lewis Showalter who preached frequently in these school house.  Seemingly it was difficult to decide on a location.  For awhile Lewis Showalter had in mind enlarging the Capon Run School House

If you see errors in my transcriptions, please notify me.  Thanks to all my helpers and the family researchers that came before me.




.

No comments: