Monday, December 10, 2018

Bisbee Arizona, With a Side of Tombstone and a Sunset:: Winter Sojourn 2014/15

Copyright 2018, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

2014

YES, early December 2014, during the Winter Sojourn 2014/15 tour.

Yes, I am still 4 years behind in my trip posts.  I may never catch up.  LOL

Anywhoooooooo - -

We did a day trip to Tombstone, just a quick stop there, as it was quiet, so we moved on to Bisbee.  And, finally back to Benson for a nice sunset.  Here are a few photos, like 15 of em.


These guys were enjoying one of the local hotels:


Up to Bisbee, (Bisbee was founded as a copper, gold, and silver mining town in 1880). This is in front of the Cohise County Courthouse.  This is the "Virile Copper Miner Statue".  Dedicated to "those virile men," the copper miners. Erected in 1935. A local artist was paid $180 to make the copper-covered concrete statue. 


This is a fence along the road, a "copper" fence?  I cannot be sure of the actual material used, but, it is "copper" colored.  I thought it was very pretty, artistic even.


Part of the Bisbee 1000:  "The Great Stair Climb is the only outdoor stair climb in the U.S. and is arguably one of the most unusual and challenging events in the world. The 4.5-mile course features nine staircases (over 1000 total steps) connected by winding roads, with a total course elevation gain/loss of ~1175 ft."  Description found at the Bisbee 1000 web site.*


Folk art along the roadways, note the leaves painted on the wall.


More folk art, needs a mattress?


Isn't this a lovely wall??

A fence of plumbing:


I have no clue, but, it has eyes:


This is the Lavender Pit, a former open pit copper mine.  Reactions to this are varied, some consider it an environmental disaster.  It's huge!


On the way back to camp, we stopped for a few minutes around Lowell, I'll bet you can guess why.




Back in camp we had a wonderful sunset, the perfect end to a great day.




* Where I have not included a URL, please do a web search if you desire more information. I am now refraining from using links as many are going bad in a couple of months and I have hundreds of bad links, ranging from 2009 to 2018.   Bad links are not useful to you my readers or to my blog. And, frankly, I do not have the time or energy to be correcting hundreds of bad links several times a year.
.

No comments: