Friday, July 21, 2017

Some Research Days My Head Just Hurts

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

In the ongoing input consolidation project, some days I just shake my head so much, back and forth, in confusion and disbelief, that I give myself headaches.

I'll keep revisiting this one, of course, until I figure it out.

Here is his death certificate, State of Missouri, father correct, birth place correct.



Then, there is this document, which is an application for a headstone for Harvey W. Halterman, to be delivered to Broadway, Virginia.  The data base is named United States Headstone Applications for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1949, I located it at FamilySearch originally.   I uncovered it during my consolidation.  I did not have it linked to a specific Harvey.  I checked my data base, at this time I only have ONE Harvey.  BUT - - - 


I have yet to locate a headstone in or around Mathias West Virginia for Harvey.  There is a Find  A Grave memorial for him,  in Ray County, Missouri.

My logic takes a major hit when I note the date of the application, 1932 vs the date of death from the death certificate, 1934.  

Then, I note the name of the person ordering this headstone, a historian from a U.D.C. chapter.  Scratching my sore head, I wonder, why is she ordering a headstone?

And, where did that thing GO?

My head hurts.

Yes, I have discovered there is ANOTHER Harvey W. Halterman, born about 1833, in Rockingham County Virginia, different father, but, may have also been in Missouri at some point.  I need to really followup on Harvey W., son of Aaron.  That may be the key here.

There there are two military sets of records:

According to the U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914, a Harvey, enlisted on April 25, 1872 in Kentucky. The record indicates he was from Rockingham County, Virginia, was aged 21, farmer, had hazel eyes, light brown hair, ruddy complexion, was 5' 10" tall, and deserted May 26, 1872 at St. Louis, Missouri. So, do the math, 1872 - 21, means born ca 1851.  Hmmmm.  Must be ANOTHER Harvey.  Ya, fun.

The second Military record (found so far) is a set of compiled service records for Harvey W. Halterman who served in Company B, 11 Virginia Calvary, who served in 1863-64, was captured and released in exchange in February of 1865.

More research time required.  After I get rid of the headache.




*  Please refer to my Disclaimer page at the top of Reflections.  The brief version - - I use many genie sites.  I pay when it is required.  No discounts other than what you can get for yourself.  They don't ask me to review.  No deals.

.

No comments: