Thursday, July 5, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday, the Googly Eye Doll, a Rerun Post

Copyright 2012, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

Back on September 17, 2009 I ran this post for Treasure Chest Thursday.  I rarely do rerun posts, but, this morning blogger friend Barbara from Life From the Roots ran some more photos of her sweet doll, and the very first photo is of the doll sitting in her high chair, looking a lot like like my doll's high chair.  So, I decided to rerun my Googly Eye Doll post, for fun and because I am pre-occupied these days with cemetery books and web pages and face it, a rerun is sorta easy and very fast, although I did redo the photo in the digital editor a bit, the last version was a bit dark.  I hope you enjoy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This replica of a Googly Eye Doll was hand made in Germany. Son # 1 and his bride found a doll maker in Regensburg and brought this sweet thing home to me. Her oak high chair was made by Amish (either in the Elkhart County Indiana or Holmes County Ohio area).

I saw a photo of a very old Googly Eye Doll in a magazine and was immediately infatuated. I don't have a large doll collection, but I do have a few that caught my imagination and a spot in my heart. For me, it is usually love at first sight.

Tonight a little snooping on the Internet gave this description, "GOOGLY EYES: Big, round, side-glancing eyes, very popular on dolls from 1910s through the 1920s."

There were a lot of dolls with Googly Eyes for sale too! But I have mine and she is a treasure to me.

.

2 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Isn't that interesting and very nice knowing we have such great taste when it comes to our doll's high chair. I believe they are identical!

TCasteel said...

Cute.